Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

oldest dd in college

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 4 Replies

ok... i need some advice... my oldest dd (18, actually she's my 'bonus' dd, but, i love her like my own). anyways, my oldest dd is in college in houston, she is a sophomore this year. and she's been taking 15 credit hours, and she's failing all but 2, she keeps overloading herself with hours and courses, due to she is trying to 'double major'. she wants to eventually go pre med, and eventually into psychaitry. is there any advice i can give her? besides slowing down, she's not in a race. she's taking lots of hard courses...

thought i'd ask some other moms...

thanks in advance...

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
drfink
by Emily on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM

First of all I would nicely point out the flaws in her logic.No med school is going to care about her having a double major with failing grades.They won't look past the grades.My older kids have friends in med school or in residencies now.None of them had double majors but did well academically..

In all seriousness unless she can get those grades much ,much higher she needs to drop the failing courses before the drop date.After that they will be recorded as drop while failing.She then needs to re group and

talk to some one that can help her plot her course load over the next few years.

Good luck

sunflowers12
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM

taking all these classes is not going to help if she has to take them over again.. i would say something along these lines.. first its awesome you have all these goals, however apart of having goals is to be able to complete them.. if you fail all these classes yo will need to take them over again not only will it cost more money, but take even more time.. why not take 12 hours and and be able to pass all your classes?? maybe she will agree and ease up on some of the classes..

hope this helpsgood

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Slowing down is the biggest thing she needs to do.  I would rather her take half the classes and pass than take the full amount and fail.  She will lose her assistance if she has some.  She should really be discussing things with her counselor to help her plot her courses better.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

If she's failing she won't ever make it into medical school? She needs to drop a few classes, slow down and focus. Also the money wasted with failing classes, yikes! Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)