Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Blood on the Dance Floor?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 50 Replies

I have a 12 yo dd who went shopping with some friends and bought a new hoodie with "Blood on the Dance Floor" on it. I didn't think much of it and was happy to see that she got to have some independence and make a purchase of something she likes. A couple of weeks later, I noticed in one of her school notebooks that she had written lyrics from this band. Whoa, yep, call me a prude, whatever, but it was nasty, vulgar and very violent. Wondering if anyone here has any comments. 

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Not me.   I've never heard of the band.  LoL.     I do remember when my oldest was 12 and 13, he and his friends were into Eminem.   I am not a rap fan, but I listened to his music and watched a Biography on MTV with my son.....I wanted to know what he was listening to and be able to discuss the lyrics...and the meaning behind them.    Fortunately for me, he outgrew his tolerance for Rap music.

Diamondblue1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
When i heard blood on the dance floor i was actually thinking about Micheal Jackson because he had a song called that in the 80's i didn't know they had another version by someone else who sings that?
sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM

never heard of it

lol - i actually thought you were going to tell us about a fight at a school dance.

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Never heard of it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I know my dd best friends mom got the 2 girls matching t shirts and bracelets. Have never looked into it
graybealgirl
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Quoting sahlady:

never heard of it

lol - i actually thought you were going to tell us about a fight at a school dance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bribren
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Never hear of it. I wouldn't worry teens always try to push it to the limit.I would ask her about the band and what she likes about them it could be innocent like her friends like that band...

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM

never heard of that band

my mom was appalled at some of the music I liked ,it is normal and part of the appeal sometimes.

If the rest of her behavior stays in bounds it's just a teen thang 

DarlaHood
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM

EDIT:  SEE PAGE 2 OF POST FOR A SAMPLE OF THE LYRICS....

Well I was gonna agree with Emily, but then I looked up the lyrics of some of the blood on the dance floor songs, and it's disturbing to me.  Bitches need stitches and end up in ditches? And there was more, and worse. 

My 18 year old dd and I share an itunes account, and our tastes overlap quite a lot, but not on everything.  I'm not saying all of the lyrics are G rated, but there is nothing on her IPhone like that! 

I'm sorry, but these are inappropriate themes, and the content is not fit for any 12 year old.  I would not have allowed my girls to listen to this at that age (or really any age).  I would be having some long conversations with my dd about this.  Not accusatory, but truly wanting to understand the appeal, and expressing genuine concern, and explaining why even I would not listen to that as a woman. 

DarlaHood
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM

You might want to look into it.  You can google and read the lyrics, and you might want to talk to your dd's bff's mom....  Especially if your dd is as young as the OP's!

Quoting mommybug77:

I know my dd best friends mom got the 2 girls matching t shirts and bracelets. Have never looked into it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN