Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Have a Favorite Kid?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 27 Replies

Dad Who Boasts About Favorite Son Should Learn to Keep His Trap Shut

Posted by Andrew Kardon

father son surfersUnless you have only one child, parents should never tell anyone that they have a favorite. Ever.

As for putting that in writing? You may as well kick one kid out to the curb and wish him good luck in life.

Canadian dad Buzz Bishop recently wrote a column in which he explained he has a favorite kid. He loves both his sons equally, but his 5-year-old is his favorite simply because he can do more things than his 2-year-old.

Buzz goes on to say that everyone has a favorite kid, whether they'll admit it or not. And as long as you're not acting on it by giving preferential treatment to one over the other, it's fine.

I'm sorry but that's a total load of crap. Just by saying you have a favorite already means you're giving preferential treatment.

If you enjoy spending time with the older kid more because he's your favorite and you act upon that, you're shafting your younger child by not spending time with him. And guess what, spending more time with that younger kid may make you realize he's pretty darn fun too.

More from The Stir: Kids With Siblings Are Just as Lonely as Only Children (VIDEO)

I have two sons. I love them both equally. At times it amazes me how much love you can have for a single child. And then it turns out you have just as much love for the other one. Crazy how expandable the heart is, right?

Do I have a favorite of my two boys? No. Do I prefer doing certain activities with one over the other? Certainly.

My younger one is a snuggler, so just snuggling up next to him in bed while we watch cartoons is awesome. My older one loves movies and popcorn, so it's a blast sitting next to him at the theater, as we get our hands covered in butter. That doesn't mean I don't like snuggling with my older son or sitting next to my younger one at the movies. It just means each kid has different tastes and I enjoy doing different things with each of them.

The worst part of this, though, is that Buzz doesn't see the damage he's causing. He put his thoughts in writing. When his kids are older, that 2-year-old is going to know that he wasn't his dad's favorite. Doesn't matter that his dad tried explaining he loves them equally and the younger kid just didn't do much.

It's still in writing. Clear as day.

Your dad had a favorite kid, and it wasn't you!

Hopefully Buzz has a favorite child psychiatrist too. I have a feeling one of his kids is going to need it.

Do you have a favorite kid?

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I love them all the same.  They have individual qualities that I love, but not a favorite child.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM
4 moms liked this

YES absolutely... 100% yes...

but it changes day to day, hour to hour, and sometimes minute to minute.

sunflowers12
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

just trying to understand how you come up with the comparison from a five year old and two year old.. what was life like when the five year old was two?? could he do almost everything then too?? of course a two year old can not do the same things as an older kid but you don't play favs, over that!!

i have six great kids one as different as the other i love them each the very same do i treat them the same no their all different ages and at different places in life... my oldest two are adults i treat them like they are adults my 17 year old is in high school and i treat him like it, same with the 15 and 12 and the baby... that's just about one of the dumbest things i think i have heard.. ever been in a fam, where you know your not the fav, i have its not fun at all and you get blamed for everything including get the poop end of everything.. not cool

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do. But then again, I have an only child...LOL

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM

This~

Quoting MrsBLB:

I love them all the same.  They have individual qualities that I love, but not a favorite child.

Gmgej
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I can't even imagine......Each of my children are special to me and I couldn NEVER choose one.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I love them all the same, who is my favorite depends on the behavior that day..Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I love my 2 kids equally fiercly, but for different things about each of them.

Umm, well, maybe one I would be missing a bit more than the other if I thought about how I were to cope if both were to die. Interestingly enough it is my most challenging child - but she's also the one who shares her heart, her life, her angst, her ups and her downs, with me.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Well, my answer might offend some, but I do have a favorite.

That doesn't mean I don't love all of my children equally, it means that of all of my kids he is the one that I get along with best. He is the most laid back person anyone will ever meet, and always willing to help. 

Sometime, just as with people we meet in our everyday lives, personalities just don't mesh. Take my other dd, she is the moodiest child I know. One minute she is overly bubbly and the next she is gonna bite your head off. I absolutely love her, I just can't tolerate her personality and she has been that way since she was an itty bitty thing. It's not going to change anytime soon. 

They are all different, they are all bright, funny and amazing, but when it comes to personalities there is one that stands out. It has nothing to do with love.

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an only child but when he's being a butthead, I tell him that my 8 yr old niece is my favorite kid. She just LOVES that and teases him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN