Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What to wear to first boy/girl party?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter will be attending a 13th birthday party soon which will have both boys and girls and a DJ. Some of the girls are wearing what I would call "adult" cocktail dresses. I do not consider my daughter ready for adult dresses but I am not sure where to find something a little more sophisticated than a children's size 14. Abercrombie Kids has some cute dresses but I find them much too short. Any ideas?

I am also wondering about shoes. One friend said that she plans to wear heels with her dress.  I'd like to find something on the order of a kitten-heel shoe, but all I can find are very high heels. Any comments?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

hollister has some cute tops and skirts that are on the sweet side.  what size shoe?

Is this a Bar/Bat Mitzvah?  Seems a bit on the fancy side for just a 13th bday party.

I had to find my 11 yr old, who wears a woman's 7, shoes with a heel but that were still appropriator... I found them at Kohls.  Im sure a store like JC Penny's or Sears would also have age appropriate shoes.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Is it a formal bday party? Idk, my DD is 14 at 13 she had a pretty good idea of what she wanted to wear. What ideas does your DD have? I agree with pp, Holister has some cute skirts and blouses as does abercrombie kids. If you are looking for dresses, Macy's? What size is she?

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
My girls never went to a party like that till some sweet 16s. Most would be jeans. Seems too fancy for 13.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM
what does she want to wear?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Kohls has some cute dresses.

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Try pennys and you will want her to dress like the others so she doesn't feel out of place.

jujuhu299
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My daughter wears a size 14 in girls or a 1 or 3 in juniors. She is about 5'4 and quite thin - still has a very boyish figure. She tried on a strapless dress (size 1) during a shopping outing with other girls, but I felt it was not appropriate for a 13 year old, even though it was really cute.

This is just a regular 13th birthday party. I think the parents wanted to host an event that all the 7th grade students could be invited to (our school is pretty small).

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If you are worried about the lenth, do tights underneath them.  Tights are in here so I don't worry so much about the lenth on this.  Also I would be contacting the mom of the party and ask her advice.  What is her daughter wearing, who is supervising, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)