Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

do your teens have a bed time?

Posted by   + Show Post

How old and what is the bed time?

Is it strictly enforced or a guide line?

Is it different on the weekdays from the weekends?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lilindian
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yes they do. They are 13,and 15. I do try to enforce it and stick to it on the weekends. They are allowed a 15 min grace period. Now my 5yr old is always in bed at 8:30 now matter what.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Quoting atlmom2:

I was also surprised that that they were able to get their homework done by 9. In my district high school kids are only allowed one study period every other day for only half a semester, unless they are on an IEP that allows for more time. A study is not considered to be "time on learning".

To answer the original question, my high schooler does not have a bed time, I send my thirteen year old to bed by 10. He is often just finishing his homework at 9.
marthamom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

This is my approach as well. My oldest, who's almost 16 years old, is a nightowl and insomniac and my youngest, who's almost 14 years old, is an early to bed, early to rise kind of person.

My oldest knows that if she gives me a hard time in the morning she has to come upstairs to bed when I go up. She values her time alone in the evenings too much to give that up.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

No, not as teens.    My view is they have to learn to manage their time.   If they wanted to stay up until 2 or 3 am playing video games.....fine.     As long as they get up for school without a problem and do well in school.    Both did.       My oldest knew exactly how much rest he needed, he is an early to bed, early to rise type of guy.     My youngest is a night owl and insomniac.  

xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM
My 14 year old has to be in his room by 9pm and lights and tv out by 10pm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Oh and he doesn't have one on the weekends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM
We have some block and non block classes. One time my dd had 3 study halls every other day. The opposite days 1 study hall. The hs has 10 periods, one being lunch. 7 or 8 classes a day.

Quoting Carmel63:

Quoting atlmom2:

I was also surprised that that they were able to get their homework done by 9. In my district high school kids are only allowed one study period every other day for only half a semester, unless they are on an IEP that allows for more time. A study is not considered to be "time on learning".

To answer the original question, my high schooler does not have a bed time, I send my thirteen year old to bed by 10. He is often just finishing his homework at 9.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM
9:00 pm she is 14 but I also have a 12, 10, 8, and 4 year old. Everyone gets up at 6 am to start our day. On Friday and Saturday nights or on vacation they go to bed whenever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmyMommy2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:29 AM

My daughter is 13 and her bed time is 9:30, meaning she needs to be in her bed at that time and then she is allowed to read for 30 minutes, but it is lights out at 10pm sharp. This is not a guide, we do strictly enforce it because it is important that teenagers get enough sleep each night. Bedtime on weekends is 11pm.

candeeapple2010
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM
yes.even though she is almost 12 she understands how important rest is.after school starts @ 8 a/out by 3.chores homework playtime 8 shower 830 read bookl 9 tuck in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

No, by the time they were in middle school, it was on them.  They all had dance, which sometimes lasted til 9 or 9:30.  They all took AP classes (some more than one each year), so figure an hour or two of homework a night for each of those classes. One daughter was also on the drill team which had practices from 6-9 pm 4 nights a week.

Only one at home right now, she gets out of school at 2:30, dance 4 nights a week.  She has all A's, with 3 AP classes this year.  She comes home, takes a nap, then gets up to go to dance (dependig on the day, might have dinner first).  Does her homework after dance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)