Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

do your teens have a bed time?

Posted by   + Show Post

How old and what is the bed time?

Is it strictly enforced or a guide line?

Is it different on the weekdays from the weekends?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Replies (51-60):
Momsalawyer
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

My kids have a bed time (7th grader it's 9:30 to read, 10:00 lights out) until high school and then I leave it up to them.  I have two boys, a high school junior and senior, both very busy with sports, academics, leadership, etc. so the issue is more how to get any sleep not trying to stay up.  One needs more sleep then the other to function so he comes right home from practice and does his homework, in bed by 9 or 10.  The other is busier with activities (the senior and "running" about six clubs at school) so he is often up as late as 11 or 12.  My eldest (21 and at college) managed her own hours from 9th grade on and was glad of it once she was out at school; some of her friends had always had bedtimes and they went a little nuts when they got "out".

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM

No! To many hang ups is not good!

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

No, by the time they were in middle school, it was on them.  They all had dance, which sometimes lasted til 9 or 9:30.  They all took AP classes (some more than one each year), so figure an hour or two of homework a night for each of those classes. One daughter was also on the drill team which had practices from 6-9 pm 4 nights a week.

Only one at home right now, she gets out of school at 2:30, dance 4 nights a week.  She has all A's, with 3 AP classes this year.  She comes home, takes a nap, then gets up to go to dance (dependig on the day, might have dinner first).  Does her homework after dance.

Yes!

JustaSM231
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:31 AM

13 and 9. Bedtime during school year is 9:30, lights out and TV off.  Both wake up at 6am to get ready for school, which starts for the 13 year old at 7:30am.  If they want to read, watch TV, etc in their room, they can go to bed earlier.  Weekend is usually no later than 11pm because we don't want them sleeping all day the next day.  Usually their behavior during the day also dictates bedtime.  If they are cranky or argumentative or obviuosly tired due to lack of sleep, they have to go to bed 30 earlier than the previuos night. 

surromama
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM
My teens are 15 and 16 1/2. They haven't had a bedtime for a few years. My daughter (15) usually naps when she gets home from school and goes to bed between 10-11. My son (16) goes to bed whenever he wants. He gets straight A's. I figure they're old enough to know if they need more sleep. If their tired in the morning they can only blame themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pasteeater
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:06 AM
My son is fourteen and usually at school at least ten hours a day usuay more. So on week nights he's in bed by 11 and yes, that is enforced. On weekends it's until one. Durning the week he has to be in his room at nine and on the weekends at 11. Usually he only stays up real late on Saturday. He's tired by friday night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My daughter turns 13 next month. She has to be in her room by 9:30pm, but she can go to sleep when she wants as long as she is quiet.

amus
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I have 2 boys, 17 & 14. They have a weeknight bedtime of 930pm but they usually go to bed earlier. They are up and out the door by 645am. On the weekends they have no set time unless we have plans.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy2585
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Bedtime has always been 8 p.m. on weekdays. The girls never challenged that as they grew into teenagers. Even on weekends and vacations, it is very unusual for them to stay up later than 10 p.m. All of my children are early risers for some reason, so they go to bed early. 

Being in bed doesn't always mean sleeping for my oldest. She is bookworm. When she is really engaged in a novel, she has trouble putting it down. 

surromama
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No. Ever since middle school I let them go to sleep whenever. My daughter set her bedtime at 9:30, my son was usually passed out by 10:30. Now, in 10th and 11th they stay up later. They still get up and moving at 6am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)