Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My son wants to go to the mental hospital

Posted by   + Show Post

My 17 yr old boy has ADD, anxiety & drug issues. His Gf recently broke up with him ( they dated for a whole 2 months, whoppee) and now he "can't cope" wants to focus on himself and go back inaptient - that would be 3x this year. Here's the catch: he has a psychiatrist, counselor/therapist, medication and big time family support. He's not using his tools such as group therapy, journaling, art therapy, he just wants to dwell on poor poor him and how his social life isn't what he wants. My feeling: too damn bad. He wants to go back to the hospital now because - he admits- its too late in 1st semester to make up the work he's blown off and he should go now so he's ready for 2nd semester. It's too convienent. He isn't compliant with his meds becuase he doesn't like how they make him feel - he is mellow and concentrates, hmmm is that really a bad thing? The psychiatrist is in agreement with me, he needs to stick to his medication schedule and a set routine & schedule. The hospital is for safety, if he was acute and/or suicidal. I called the hospital intake, made my son talk to them & they talked to me. Of course he can be evaluated 24/7 but he has what he needs and doesn't seem to be in crisis.

I feel he needs to do what he's supposed to do and learn to face himself. He cannot escape or run away, he has to suck it up and deal. Part of me feels bitchy, but I am at peace showing him tough love.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-21):
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I agree with you completely cuz we have been dealing with this with my 13yo daughter, BUT, BUT cuz i am NOT "giving in" to my daughters needs/feelings that she HAS threatened suicide and is cutting herself!  NOW IM the one who wants to commit her!  Kids do need to learn to deal, cuz once they are out there in the world its not going to treat them with kindness, BUT just WATCH your son.  He may start to act more dramatic. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)