Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Question about prom dresses

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM
  • 36 Replies

My girls are 16 so they of course started to get those prom catalogs in the mail.  First of all why are all the models in them at least 25?  Second, why are all of the dresses slutty?  I'm in no way a prude...but why would you want your daughter going to prom looking like a hooker?  I mean you get a few straps of material and a sequin and they want $1000 for what they call a dress...REALLY?  Anyone else bothered by this?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:56 AM
Some are slutty. Many look different on a 5 ft girl than a 6 ft model 25 yo model.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelleVernonGirl
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting atlmom2:

Some are slutty. Many look different on a 5 ft girl than a 6 ft model 25 yo model.

Well yeah so why not have a teen model them?  IDK  Just something that was bothering me...

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Have your dd try on what is appropriate to you and go from there.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Quoting atlmom2:

Well yeah so why not have a teen model them?  IDK  Just something that was bothering me...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Every girl is different so even on a teen model you still can't tell. My dd is 18 and 4 ft 10 and 92lbs. A 6 ft model that is a teen will still look very different in a dress than on my dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Yes. I am completely disgusted by the prom catalogs. Aside from a few retro-looking dresses in there, they look like something a 25 or 30 year old actress or model would wear to the Oscars me as well. I wouldn't want my daughter caught dead in some of those dresses, at her age.

I took my daughter to a bridal shop, and we got her dress there...a very classic-looking dress...no straps but sweetheart bodice and full, long skirt. It's BEAUTIFUL on her, and it only cost my daughter (yes, she paid for her own dress) $425 or so.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Holy crap, the most I ever paid for my dd's prom dresses was $200 and I thought that was outrageous. Most of the time they were $100 or less.

Quoting BrennaLyons:

Yes. I am completely disgusted by the prom catalogs. Aside from a few retro-looking dresses in there, they look like something a 25 or 30 year old actress or model would wear to the Oscars me as well. I wouldn't want my daughter caught dead in some of those dresses, at her age.

I took my daughter to a bridal shop, and we got her dress there...a very classic-looking dress...no straps but sweetheart bodice and full, long skirt. It's BEAUTIFUL on her, and it only cost my daughter (yes, she paid for her own dress) $425 or so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I paid less than $100 for mine, but that was 26 years ago. My daughter's dress is technically a formal bridesmaid dress, and it's gorgeous. It's well worth what she's paying for it. I cringe at the people who pay $500 or more for the dresses, especially those shelling out $1500 or more for JUST the dress...rolling eyes. Oh, and since she bought it end of season to store for this coming spring prom, they knocked $100 off the price for her. It's not much less ornate than my first wedding dress was, and I paid $500 for that 24 years ago. Shrug.

FWIW, she also purchased both of her semi-formal dresses...this past year and the year before and paid a little less than $100 for each of those. Which brings me to... Keep in mind that, aside from CA, the area I live in is about the highest cost of living there is. We pay a LOT more here for things than I would pay for the same things in VA or PA or several other states I've lived in.

Quoting atlmom2:

Holy crap, the most I ever paid for my dd's prom dresses was $200 and I thought that was outrageous. Most of the time they were $100 or less.

Quoting BrennaLyons:

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Our cost of living is high too. Not as high as in Cali. We buy at bridal shops also. The $200 one was at a bridal shop. $100 one was also. 30+ years ago my mom made me make my prom dress.

Quoting BrennaLyons:

I paid less than $100 for mine, but that was 26 years ago. My daughter's dress is technically a formal bridesmaid dress, and it's gorgeous. It's well worth what she's paying for it. I cringe at the people who pay $500 or more for the dresses, especially those shelling out $1500 or more for JUST the dress...rolling eyes. Oh, and since she bought it end of season to store for this coming spring prom, they knocked $100 off the price for her. It's not much less ornate than my first wedding dress was, and I paid $500 for that 24 years ago. Shrug.

FWIW, she also purchased both of her semi-formal dresses...this past year and the year before and paid a little less than $100 for each of those. Which brings me to... Keep in mind that, aside from CA, the area I live in is about the highest cost of living there is. We pay a LOT more here for things than I would pay for the same things in VA or PA or several other states I've lived in.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting BrennaLyons:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

My BM couldn't sew (or cook) to save her life. Sad but true. I often say I learned to cook when I was 8, out of self defense. I would have starved otherwise.

Quoting atlmom2:

Our cost of living is high too. Not as high as in Cali. We buy at bridal shops also. The $200 one was at a bridal shop. $100 one was also. 30+ years ago my mom made me make my prom dress.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Awww, I have great memories cooking and sewing with my Mom. Her grandma taught her how to sew at a super young age. My cousin has the treddle sewing machine my mom learned on.

Quoting BrennaLyons:

My BM couldn't sew (or cook) to save her life. Sad but true. I often say I learned to cook when I was 8, out of self defense. I would have starved otherwise.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN