Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: How do you control internet access for your teen 13...

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

How do you control internet access for your teen? 13 year old had an ipod touch but I took it for inappropiate content and dont know how to trust him again

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No trust equals, no ipod, no phone,and no computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I use k9 web protection on DS1 (14yo) computer - it limits access to whatever you wnat it to - you can make it as strong or weak as you choose. It also sets times that they can access the internet - like DS's is set to turn off at 9:30 pm and back on at 9am.

dobrd
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Ktgogsmom22, I totally agree w/atlmom2. If he can abuse it, he can't use it.. He'd be holding his hand on his ass before he got it back in our house.. If he needs homewor done then he can do it at the Library.. He can't use anything there as abusing what he use to have.. I wouldn't work that hard to now settings so he won't go where he doesn't belong.. He uses it correctly or gets nothing.. He has to now you aren't kidding around.. Needs to take you seriously as to what you will not allow.. Take Care, Donna....

KimmyMommy2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I agree with the others, if he cannot use it properly then he should not be allowed to use it at all, that's the pruce he should pay for not following the rules. In our house we only have two computers, my lap top and the family computer in the den, The one in the den does have protection on it and a rule in our house is the kids are not allowed to delete any of their browsing history.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

If I can't trust my kids on their wireless devices they are required to stay within eye-shot of me when using them.  My girls are 17 and 13.   If you have wi-fi in your house you can also restrict the hours that it is available to wi-fi devices through the settings tool.  That way you don't have to worry about him accessing inappropriate content in the middle of the night or when you are not home.

Quoting atlmom2:

No trust equals, no ipod, no phone,and no computer.

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

go into your administrations and set a parental lock and lock out all the bad stuff.. funny though so many proudly admit to wanting this just but when their kids get into it the story changes.. not saying you in particular just in general...

wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ds1 has a laptop for school only (required by the school, otherwise he wouldn't have it), and he can only use it in the kitchen and family rm where we can keep an eye on him. It does not go anywhere else in the house. None of the kids have a phone, ipod, ipad, or ds. There is a desktop computer in the family rm the kids can use for schoolwork and games, and we have monitoring software on it.

epykpysmom
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We do not have any computers in the kids' bedrooms.  All computers for schoolwork or fun are in public areas of the house where anybody walking by can easily see. e needs is access to a desktop and that is readily available.

I do not see why young teens, or even tweens, need to personally have any of that technology, esp if they have access to family computers, etc. Oldest DD did not get an ipod touch or laptop until she was 17 and moved to college; she really did quite well surviving without them through high school.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:40 AM

My husband installed some blocking software and he also has a "snooper" so he can see what our son is doing on his laptop.

KeriAZ
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:45 AM
If u dont trust him take the power cord with u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)