Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen acne

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM
  • 15 Replies
My two 14 year old sons are beginning to have real problems with acne, and I can't afford a dermatologist. What have you found that works?

Additional question: just read about the Tanda Zap. Anyone tried it?
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Walmart's equate version of proactive worked for my dd when she started breaking out.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

First off we found that drinking any dark beverages caused a bigger outbreak. If they are drinking coke have then stop. My nephew washes his face with hot hot water and table salt. Then he moisturizes with oil of olay. Tanning booth also helps. My son would have a bad breakout from sports if he went to the ocean if would clear right up. My niece used proactive and had great results.

Diana3632
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Thank you for your responses. I have heard a lot of good things about proactive, but I think it is expensive. It is good to read that Walmart has a less expensive version. We will try it out.
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I just took my 13 yr old son to the dr for this on thursday. I did order Proactiv for him, but it still hasnt come in the mail. The dr said its great stuff. She said anything with benzoyl peroxide cuz it dries up the oils. My son was using dove soap and his face was getting worse so he switched to dial soap and it has helped some. She also said Cetaphyl, its not a prescription. A while back there was a post in here about acne and there were tons of ideas. Hopefully as the day goes on the same ladies will respond here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diana3632
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I use Cetaphil on my face and love it, but it did not work on my sons. I tried a Neutrogena acne medication on their faces, but it dried out their skin too much. Hard to find that perfect balance.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is my advice, it is less expensive to go to a dermatologist. If you are doing trial and error with over the counter products, you may be wasting money, and in between you kids skin could be getting worse. Going to the dermatologist, even if I did not have health insurance, would have been less expensive. None of the over the counter products were really effective, and ater I made an appointment it took three months to get in. We were in and out in 20 minutes with two prescriptions that combined cost less than 20.00 and they lasted at least 6 months.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Ds1's regular pediatrician prescribed his acne meds. One of them is actually an antibacterial cream. He uses Benzamycin (it's a creamy gel-type) in the a.m. and Tretinoin Cream (it's a generic; can't remember the name brand) before bed. As long as he remembers to use them regularly, they help.

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I agree, ESP if there is a family history. Nothing over the counter may work then. My ds had acne and we tried everything OTC, finally ended up going to the dermatologist to prevent any scarring. Now he's almost 20 and outgrown most of his acne. My dd is 14 and once she hit puberty we went to the dermatologist, I wanted to get a hold on things and prevent any terrible outbreaks. Good luck.

Quoting Carmel63:

Here is my advice, it is less expensive to go to a dermatologist. If you are doing trial and error with over the counter products, you may be wasting money, and in between you kids skin could be getting worse. Going to the dermatologist, even if I did not have health insurance, would have been less expensive. None of the over the counter products were really effective, and ater I made an appointment it took three months to get in. We were in and out in 20 minutes with two prescriptions that combined cost less than 20.00 and they lasted at least 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Walmart's equate version of proactive worked for my dd when she started breaking out.

That does work for many but not all.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting Diana3632:

Thank you for your responses. I have heard a lot of good things about proactive, but I think it is expensive. It is good to read that Walmart has a less expensive version. We will try it out.

It does cost!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)