Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do teens date nowadays?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 35 Replies

When I was in High School in the 70s, dates consisted of a meal and an entertainment.  The girls wore dresses or skirts and the boys wore a tie.  The boy came to the door and picked the girl up. The boys paid and the girls had some money in case of an emergency.

What is dating like today with nice conscientious boys?  My daughter will soon be 15.  She has a "date" to homecoming.  They each paid for their own tickets and will meet at the dance.  How is this different than just meeting up with friends?  What should I expect?  DH says that it is not a date unless the boy pays.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Guys don't have to pay for it to be a date. That is old fashioned to think that way. Are they doing dinner and pictures? My girls always had pics with friends and dinner before the dance. After they usually all came to our house till about 1am. Girls would spend the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I think it can be a date even if the boy doesn't pay. They're going together so they'll hang out and dance together as well.

My son doesn't go on dates with his girlfriend. They usually just hang out together and talk to and text each other on the phone.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I agree w/ dutch dating until they are boyfriend and girlfriend. Even then it shouldn't fall on only one person.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell my kid, unless otherwise specified the person who mades the "date" pays (even if they are just friends) however, they should bring enough money to cover it should there be a problem.  Boys are to pick my daughter's up at the door.  I have informed my girls if they honk in the driveway they better be dropping something off because they are not picking anything up!  My son was told the same way.  Pick her up at the door.  Be polite, pay for the meal/ticket/etc. 

As far as going dutch, it happens.  In fact, I dated as a teen and mostly I paid because the boyfriend was broke and I wanted to go out.

jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM

That's how I remember it.  Definitely no honking in the driveway!  DD is almost 15 and the boy just turned 15.  I would prefer that she be picked up but I guess that is up to his parents.  I moved to the Appalachian Mtns 3 months ago and I understand if no one wants to drive uphill through all the switchbacks to get to our house.  Thankyou.  You've eased my mind a bit.  I doesn't sound that much different than when I was in Highschool.

Quoting fantasticfour:

I tell my kid, unless otherwise specified the person who mades the "date" pays (even if they are just friends) however, they should bring enough money to cover it should there be a problem.  Boys are to pick my daughter's up at the door.  I have informed my girls if they honk in the driveway they better be dropping something off because they are not picking anything up!  My son was told the same way.  Pick her up at the door.  Be polite, pay for the meal/ticket/etc. 

As far as going dutch, it happens.  In fact, I dated as a teen and mostly I paid because the boyfriend was broke and I wanted to go out.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM
These days I have told my older teens to always be prepared to pay if needed. I graduated from HS back in 1990 and even then the guy always paying was outdated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I think it depends on how they are raised. My DD has a boyfriend now. He always pays for the date, holds the door for her and even pulls out her chair. He was raised to do this and his mother would not allow it any other way. This year they go to different schools. I believe that when it comes to school dances it a little different. If she invites him to her homecoming dance she needs to buy the tickets for them both. And same if it's his invite to his school.
jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Yes! That's the way we did it.  I don't feel so old any more.

Quoting Jessiejack:

I think it depends on how they are raised. My DD has a boyfriend now. He always pays for the date, holds the door for her and even pulls out her chair. He was raised to do this and his mother would not allow it any other way. This year they go to different schools. I believe that when it comes to school dances it a little different. If she invites him to her homecoming dance she needs to buy the tickets for them both. And same if it's his invite to his school.

LoveLiz
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

My kids don't date they just hang out with their bf or gf. They come over here and eat and watch tv and do the same over at the others houses.

ame4c
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM
4 moms liked this
My kids dont "date" unchapperoned, period. Until 16 there has to be an adult present at all times and it must be a public function, such as a school dance or football game. At 16, they are to group date. Must be with others and not alone. These are technics I intend for them to take into their adult dating. I've sat my kids down and explained why this is too and allowed their input and questions. I feel it is important for these kids to know they will be dealing with feelings and hormones that most adults cant handle well. This is why group dating is important. If you dont put your self in a tempting situation, you will less likely do something you will regret later. Now that is not to say it still could not happen, but I think teaching our kids how to lessen the chance and take the pressure off is key.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)