Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do teens date nowadays?

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was in High School in the 70s, dates consisted of a meal and an entertainment.  The girls wore dresses or skirts and the boys wore a tie.  The boy came to the door and picked the girl up. The boys paid and the girls had some money in case of an emergency.

What is dating like today with nice conscientious boys?  My daughter will soon be 15.  She has a "date" to homecoming.  They each paid for their own tickets and will meet at the dance.  How is this different than just meeting up with friends?  What should I expect?  DH says that it is not a date unless the boy pays.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Replies (31-35):
jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Interesting.  How do they aquire a spouse?

I did it a bit differently.  I dated just about anyone who asked and I didn't believe in fidelity unless I was engaged or married.  Of course, I didn't have sex.  The boys all knew that they were not the only ones.  This allowed me to see which personality complimented mine the best.  

When I was in college, the only young men who asked me out were the nerdy guys - lots of them.  I strongly recommend nerdy guys.  Under the dowdy clothing, they are quite handsome, they treat women beautifully, they are very intelligent, and they grow up to have good jobs.  They also want to marry and have a family.  I was honored by 5 marriage proposals.

I knew people who would not date unless they thought they wanted to marry the person.  Oddly, they were all men in their upper 20s.  The only girls they ever dated were their wives. 

Quoting happymom582:

my teens will never date. they have been raised to marry first and then date their spouses for a lifetime! thus, eliminating the nearly 50% divorce rate marriages face by doing it otherwise. :)

nsparky1964
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I tell my kid, unless otherwise specified the person who mades the "date" pays (even if they are just friends) however, they should bring enough money to cover it should there be a problem.  Boys are to pick my daughter's up at the door.  I have informed my girls if they honk in the driveway they better be dropping something off because they are not picking anything up!  My son was told the same way.  Pick her up at the door.  Be polite, pay for the meal/ticket/etc. 

This!!!

it maybe old fashioned for a boy to come to the door and meet the parents, however i don't care...i am NOT going to let my kid go with anyone whom i have no idea about....

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

No one "dates" anymore!  LOL!  One week they are bf/gf, the next week they arent talkin to each other.  And no one even "talks" anymore.  It is ALL about texting.  But no matter who pays, if they are going to be at the dance together - just the two of them - than that is a "date".  I dont know if a homecoming dance is important enough but i would expect the guy to come to the door and pick up my daughter for prom at least.  Now if your daughter was going with a group of girls, say, and wasnt planning on dancing with this guy exclusively, than that is not a "date", especially if this guy didnt come pick her up, which i would understand only if this guy was involved in the football game or band for the game or any way involved with the football game that he could not get away before the dance to pick up your daughter.  I think now a days you can "date" with out the boy having to always pay. 

jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Update:  The boy was in the play "Fiddler on the Roof" last Tues. night.  DD and her friends went to see him but didn't want DH and I along so we went out to dinner.  We picked her up afterwards and met the boy and his Mother.  Both seemed very nice and friendly.  I only hope Mom didn't smell the liquor on my breath (I didn't drive).

andersongirl562
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM
My sons are being raised to open doors, greet and hold a convo with parents, ladies are always first even sisters, and to always pay for a date oh and to always walk a girl to her door.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)