Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do teens date nowadays?

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was in High School in the 70s, dates consisted of a meal and an entertainment.  The girls wore dresses or skirts and the boys wore a tie.  The boy came to the door and picked the girl up. The boys paid and the girls had some money in case of an emergency.

What is dating like today with nice conscientious boys?  My daughter will soon be 15.  She has a "date" to homecoming.  They each paid for their own tickets and will meet at the dance.  How is this different than just meeting up with friends?  What should I expect?  DH says that it is not a date unless the boy pays.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Class fees is probably a better word. It covers things like school id's, school shirts, and lab fees. Freshmen and sophomores pay less than the juniors and seniors. The senior fees also include all the senior activities and a senior shirt.

Quoting sahlady:

never heard of class dues.

Quoting fammatthews4:

WOW this makes me so happy that our prom tickets for both senior and junior prom are included in their junior dues which are only $30.  Homecoming tickets are only $15

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Sounds nice.  We didn't have a sit down dinner but the hor duerves were immense.  We had 2 live bands, 5 bars, and lots of decorations because the theme changes every year.  I guess the ticket price doesn't really cover it like yours would.  We pay quarterly dues.

Quoting sahlady:

perhaps the venues are different.

we dont have a homecoming (no football team) only winter formal and prom.  the price covers venue (usually a nice down town hotel ball room), dinner, drinks, dj, and security (not really bouncers but paid staff to monitor it all).

Quoting jazzgirl205:

DD homecoming tickets were $10 ea.  I don't think high school tickets should be as expensive as Sahlady's. Heck,  when my ladies' organization back on the coast had a formal white tie ball, we had to pay $100/pair for tickets for our guests (actually selling or being reimbursed for tickets were grounds for expulsion) and that included as many cocktails as one could drink.  

Dh met the boy and said he seems nice.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

the kids do?  how much?  what does it cover?

Quoting jazzgirl205:

We pay quarterly dues.

jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Oh, I'm sorry.  I was talking about our adult ball.  I really have no idea what Homecoming is like here.  I just moved here 3 months ago.  Your child's prom sounds lovely.

Quoting sahlady:

the kids do?

Quoting jazzgirl205:

We pay quarterly dues.

Shopsha0911
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Guys don't have to pay for the date now but my son always felt he should. with homecoming and Prom I always purchased his and her tickets unless he was going with a friend. 

Madelaine
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM
This is how I was raised and I will do the same with my kids. My 13 year old has friends that are now dating and I think that is too young.

Quoting ame4c:

My kids dont "date" unchapperoned, period. Until 16 there has to be an adult present at all times and it must be a public function, such as a school dance or football game. At 16, they are to group date. Must be with others and not alone. These are technics I intend for them to take into their adult dating. I've sat my kids down and explained why this is too and allowed their input and questions. I feel it is important for these kids to know they will be dealing with feelings and hormones that most adults cant handle well. This is why group dating is important. If you dont put your self in a tempting situation, you will less likely do something you will regret later. Now that is not to say it still could not happen, but I think teaching our kids how to lessen the chance and take the pressure off is key.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Prom here is $75 a ticket. Homecoming is $15. Prom includes dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM
I am the mom of a boy and I would want to meet the girl and possibly her parents too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

With both my girls, the boys paid for the dance tickets and dinner if they were his date for the dance.  For Sadie Hawkin's dances, my girls would pay for the tickets and dinner (usually not fancy).  There were dances they went to with just a group of friends where they paid their own way, but not if they went with a date.  And the boys also always picked them up (even if parents were driving), and usually paid for pictures too.  Sometimes we offered to take the kids home from the dance. 

happymom582
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

my teens will never date. they have been raised to marry first and then date their spouses for a lifetime! thus, eliminating the nearly 50% divorce rate marriages face by doing it otherwise. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)