Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would it be a bad idea to remove the door off my teen son's room?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 31 Replies

Do you think it's a bad idea to remove the door off my 15 year old's room? He's been in trouble with something that is too long and detailed to go into right now, but I'm having a hard time trusting him. He's trying to get around me. He's also spending a lot of time in there (he never used to). Is it mean? I'm at my whit's end.

Please help!!

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my parents threatened to take my door off, but that was b/c I slamming my door too hard, too often, and messed up the jamb. After fixing it, I was told to stop slamming it or lose the door.

jurnee14
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I took the door off my sons room once because he was slamming it. I guess I kept it off for a day or 2. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

depends on what the issue is... but I see nothing wrong with removing a door.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Unless you tell us what the issue is, what the history has been, it's hard to say if it is a dire enough situation to warrant the door being removed. I think it's a pretty big power move. Useful when needed, but I don't think a parent should pull out a tank, if a well utilized water pistol will do. The punishment should fit the crime and usually be ramped up in metered escalation. Very sad that I'm using war analogies here.

Shea1967
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
If u think it needs to happen then do it. He will have to EARN it back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I don't need a personal why or reason. My answer would be yes. I would take the door off too. I see nothing wrong with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
If he is disrespecting you I would do it he has to earn it as far as I am concerned and you don't have to explain your issues to me they are not my business but I would do it in a heartbeat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM
If it is a personal safety issue yes I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Agree with the safety issue, and also if he abuses his privacy.  Like if he is sneaking out his window or doing something illegal or inappropriate in his room.  Those would be reasons to not allow him any privacy. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting sahlady:

depends on what the issue is... but I see nothing wrong with removing a door.

I agree.   If he can't be trusted, he has to learn that privacy is a priveledge, not a right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)