Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feed the birds in the winter

Posted by   + Show Post

we do and bought our 1st 2 bags of food for the winter  today.  I have feeders all over the yard and only fill them during the winter.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The birds remind you they get loud when the feeder is empty LOL

Quoting wakymom:

No. I know me, and my kids, and we'd forget about refilling feeders. I don't want to tease the birds like that.

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I only do it in the winter too

Quoting dobrd:

02nana07, Yes, I do to.. In just the Winter.. We do have alot of Blue Jays.. They are such bullies to the little ones though.. I separate the food for the little ones in a different place for them.. I ade my own out of 2liter pop bottles.. The Black Birds can't get in them.. I haven't gotten to getting the bottles out but, it's on my list of things to get dome, lol....Thanx for reminding me.. Take Care, Donna....

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

We have plenty my husband made most of them

Quoting Barabell:

No, we do not have a bid feeder.

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM

any reason or did you just get bored

Quoting AleaKat:

I used to but not anymore

AleaKat
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Money

Quoting 02nana07:

any reason or did you just get bored

Quoting AleaKat:

I used to but not anymore

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

No.   I gave up.  The squirrels eat the seed....and they are still not satisfied.   They destroyed the cover off my boys' fort,  a lounge cushion, and the pool cover.   Sure, they need nesting material, but really?? 

TJFBGMommy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yes I do! I have 2 feeders and a tray. We get chickadees, nuthatches and stellar jays. Have to make sure they get put away before the bears come out of hibernation though. They love a feeder full of yummy seeds. 

opinionatedmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM

that is why you buy a bird house

Quoting 02nana07:

sounds like a win win situation unless it snows.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

yes they eat insects and keep them out of my plants

MansfieldMama
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

We live on a small farm, and have a stock pond.  I feed the birds at the pond mostly - ducks, geese, egrets, storks, etc.  Sometimes I feed birds closer to the house, too, but it's more fun to feed them at the pond, and I can see the pond from the house, so we can still have the pleasure of bird watching.

JoEllyn1962
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Yes, I feed birds and squirrels all year long. I have what's called the "absolute squirrel proof" birdfeeder (you can google this to buy one) and the squirrels can not get into it, or chew thru it. I have had the same feeder for 16 years, ans it's still in great shape. Under the feeder, I have edging that I put around in a circle, and I fill it with large wood chips. This way, any seed that fall, lands on the wood chips and then the seed can't grow. This feeder attracts lots of cardinals, chicadees, and sparrows.  

I also have a small thistle feeder for the yellow finches. The feeder is a mesh sac that you fill with thistle, and the birds can land on it and pull the thistle thru the mesh and eat it.  (I live near Chicago, and we have these beautiful, tiny yellow finches that live here in the warm months)  I also have a bird bath that I keep filled from April thru November.

As for the squirrels, we have several that come to our house every day in the cooler months to eat. We given them shelled peanuts, or almonds. (If I give them nuts in the shell, they tend to dig holes and bury them, which leaves too many holes in my lawn and flower pots.) There are about 5 or 6 that come to our porch on a regular basis, and we can tell them all apart. (We even give them names.) They are funny-sometimes they jump on the wicker furniture that's on my porch and look into my window utill I see them and then I will open the door and feed them. They also know my car-when I pull into the driveway, several of them will run down the trees and toward me. I am a bit of a "squirrel whisperer" in that I have a way of attracting the neighborhood squirrels to me!

-JoJo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)