Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should i allow my daughter to dye her hair?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your daughter dye her hair?

Options:

depends on age

depends on color

Yes!

No!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

So, my 13 year old daughter would like to dye her hair. She has a few points on why we should let her, such as:

• Her school doesn't have rules against it
  • She wants to "find herself"
  • Most girls at her school are aloud to, even some younger than her
  • One girl at her school (her age) recently got a nose stud, has countless other earrings AND dyes her hair. (my daughter only has one ear piercing and that is it)
  • She dresses pretty respectively

She has a few other points but those are the main ones, but I am still on the fence. She hasn't specified a color but she wishes to use "Manic Panic" dye, either Semi- or Demi Permanent. She intends to do it herself, and would pay for the dye. She has cut her hair before (without consulting me, she gave herself bangs) and my husband and I actually think the results look good. I don't know why but I still have a problem with it. She really wants this and has made continuous efforts to persuade me and my husband into letting her. I am curious, what do you think? And could you please give me reasons why I sould/should not? That would be usefull when discussing with my daughter/husband. 

I guess I am confused, at her age, I had different things I was worrying about. I didn't even think about hair dye or helix piercings (another thing she has begged for in the past). What is it with teens and body modifications? I asked her and she said "It's fun" and she wants to "expiriment" but why? I never found any of these things "fun". 

Currently, my daughter is not my biggest fan. I haven't aloud her that many concessions especially with her looks (she's begged for piercings and hair dye before and I answered with a stern NO) and I often play the "bad cop" (I fought hard against my husband when he aloud her to get a puppy earlier this year, and also fought him when he aloud her to get "scene hair".) She also seems quite embarrassed of me in public and around her friends, but I assume this is all part of her being a teen, right? 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I would allow it, but not because of the argument of peers already doing it.

Personally, I think these years are a good time for kids to express themselves in ways like this. When they become an adult, they need to look more professional for most jobs, but that is not the case when they are in school (as long as the school guidelines allow it).

MrsBLB
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I let mine do it.  

Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

My dd has been dying her hair since 6th grade.  She was the first in her school.  We just redid the other day again to red.  Its been blond, black, red (several times) black and pink, blonde and puple and a few in between.  Its hair and she likes it to change every cpl of months.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd did use semi permanent colors in her hair at that age. Not a big deal to me.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure let her .It is an easy non permanent way to experiment and express herself ...and even a safe way to be a bit teen rebellious.Even if she used permanent dye it isn't body modification and will be gone relatively soon.

My 28 year old dyed his hair green off and on for several years ...he is blond...he stayed on the honor roll .Just his way....now he is a Capt in the Army....no more green hair lol...actually very little hair at all sooo short LOL

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

You should allow her.

amonkeymom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I'd allow it, it's only hair and it will grow back.  Manic panic is a good dye, but if her hair is dark she may need to bleach it first.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I honestly feel this is a decision only you as her parent can make. Weigh the pros and cons and make the decision that is best for her. I personally told my daughter when she was young that it she could not dye her hair until she was 15. I didn't want her putting chemicals in her hair any earlier than that. She has no problem sticking to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nsparky1964
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

in our home...if the teen wants to dye her hair she can with some exceptions..not flaming pink/purple/green etc..no cheetah printed patterns and she is pay for it herself...

we are currently going ove this in our home...sd16(nearly 17) wants high/low lights put in her waist lenght hair..im ok with it, however she wants us to flip for it..i had mine done 2 weeks ago, and paid over $100 for that and a haircut...and im not going to pay for a teen to get it done...never did it for my bio kids, not going to for a skid...

kimthesupermom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hmm, you all raise very interesting points, it is just hair, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable with this, and I don't know why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN