Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Confession...

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: If you were walking a dog after dark in your neighborhood, what would you do?

Options:

Bring a flashlight from now on

Do what I do, live with the guilt

do what I do, without the guilt

keep searching till dawn

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

So now that it is fall, it is dark when I take the dog for an after dinner walk. When she poops, I can't always locate her poop in the dark, so ... I FAKE like I did pick it up and walk away. I know this is not admirable. But in my defense, I DO make an effort:

I keep my eyes on the spot of grass where she is pooping,

I bend down once she's stepped away and finished with her wierd little primal back legs effort to cover the spot up with grass and leaves, and I peer for about 10 seconds in the dark trying to locate the poop, then

I search about for another 10 seconds with my baggied hand trying to feel for the poop, and

then, sadly, I give up, but I fake like I really have located her poop, as I scoop up a little grass and leaves and twistie the plastic bag shut and walk away like I am a proper civic minded neighbor, but actually am a moderately guilt ridden little FAKER!

What would you do?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take a flashlight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Probably the same thing!   I would make the attempt, but I'm not going to knock myself out.    I would take a flashlight, though.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I take my dog every night (now new puppy). I take a flashlight. He's so small it's easy to pick up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I walk my dog in my own yard only always.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I walk my dogs in the dark and have a mini mag light and a poop bag dispenser attached to one of the leashes.   Neither weighs anything and since they are always on the lease I don't have to worry about forgetting the flashlight or the bags when it is cold, dark and the dogs are jumping all over the place wanting to go out.   In a pinch I have even used my cell phone.

As a dog owner, I hope you modify this behavior

1. It's gross... If you don't want to pick up your on dogs poop, then what makes you think someone else wants to.  
  2. It gives all dog owners a bad name.   Faking doing the right thing is NOT the same thing as doing the right thing. 
annie2244
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Quoting FindersKeepers:

I walk my dogs in the dark and have a mini mag light and a poop bag dispenser attached to one of the leashes.   Neither weighs anything and since they are always on the lease I don't have to worry about forgetting the flashlight or the bags when it is cold, dark and the dogs are jumping all over the place wanting to go out.   In a pinch I have even used my cell phone.

1. It's gross... If you don't want to pick up your on dogs poop, then what makes you think someone else wants to.  
  2. It gives all dog owners a bad name.   Faking doing the right thing is NOT the same thing as doing the right thing. 

Alrighty then! I feel thoroughly chastised. Your mission has been accomplished! I should go to Petco and get one of those handy all in one leash/bag dispensor/flashlight items.  Who knew they created such a handy little item. Will certainly help me in my quest to not sully the name of all dog owners  :)

FindersKeepers
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Quoting annie2244:

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Alrighty then! I feel thoroughly chastised. Your mission has been accomplished! I should go to Petco and get one of those handy all in one leash/bag dispensor/flashlight items.  Who knew they created such a handy little item. Will certainly help me in my quest to not sully the name of all dog owners  :)

Sorry   =(    But it is a bummer for dogs to banned from places from others not picking up poop.  

They have some a bunch of different kinds.  The six pack of bags last forever and is much easier than dealing with grocery bags (like I used to do).  These clip right on to a lease. 

http://www.petco.com/product/119142/Arm-And-Hammer-Essentials-Dispenser-And-Biodegradable-Waste-Bags.aspx?CoreCat=MM_DogSupplies_SanitationLawnCareCleanUp

Just your typical mini flashlight that you can get anywhere.   Ties right on to the lease too. 

http://www.target.com/p/maglite-mini-2aa-flashlight/-/A-13796237

cege
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I would bring a flashlight because when he was younger my son was the kid who would inevitably not watch where he was walking and step in the poop that some dog owner didn't clean up.  Ick.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Take a flashlight .

We take the dogs ,or send they go on their own now , to a certain spot in the backyard.Then we take them out to walk the neighbor hood.We carry a bag but seldom need it.

My old next door neighbor would each morning as she got the paper let her dogs run about into mine and her other neighbors yard to do their morning needs.Ugh she had a backyard if she didn't want to walk them.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

People leaving dog poop is my biggest pet peeve.  I've been known to hand other ppl lil doggy bags when they start to walk away after not cleaning up their dog.   It happens more often with kids than adults.  I understand your dilema tho cause i've been there.  My dog leash has a flashlight on it.  I picked it up for like $10 at walgreens.  Makes life much easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)