Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 16 yr old son

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM
  • 18 Replies

Need some parenting advice... My son (that is almost 16) decided last night on going in my bag to get a hold of my credit card, charged 319.96 for stupid game tokens on line. He said he was doing homework. I found this out this morning while I was checking my balance. Should I turn him in to law enforcement? Or should I take everything away from him. He don't have much and he's a teenager acting out. He's way to big to spank his but for doing wrong. I'm stuck on what to do.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Get law enforcement involved? NO  Crack down and take everything away? YES

Also he needs to pay that money back.  He either gets a job or does extra chores around the house to pay back the money.

Sunshine2plus2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Start mowing yards, trimming trees, shoveling snow, raking leaves, or a JOB! Until every penny is paid back!!

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fammatthews4:

Also he needs to pay that money back.  He either gets a job or does extra chores around the house to pay back the money.

I agree with this. He could also sell certain possessions to help pay the money back, in addition to doing extra jobs to raise money for it.

rwblake2011
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Both of these!

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting fammatthews4:

I agree with this. He could also sell certain possessions to help pay the money back, in addition to doing extra jobs to raise money for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kidsrock2
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I would take everything he owns until all of the money is paid back. And at that age I would not let him work it off with chores around the house. He needs to go out and get a job or do chores for other people and physically have to hand his cash over to you. It's a big reality check when he realizes that he has to work to pay for things and maybe in the future he will have more respect for your money.

charlotsomtimes
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I'd make him work it off and remind him anything he does with that card -you WILL find out about!  And I'd probably ground him from the computer for a couple weeks

Why would he do that? Has he asked and you said no or something?  Has he done anything like this before?

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Hard labor. No going out till it is paid off. Tell him next time you will turn him in and he could go to jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Williams4
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I would have to agree with the other moms, call the cops & have him aressted for stealing your bank card & that you have every rite to have him sit in Juvenile for a period of time then also sell his things jus so he would think again bout stealing. Plus its time for him to get a JOB to make sure that your point is across the board. I would also take any money that he gets from family or friends. I would also make it where he wont have any money in his pocket but only on the school lunch account. Lay down the law wit him so that he knows youre serious. Ive done that to all 3 of my kids. I now have to teach my neiece not to do it.

MrsBLB
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting fammatthews4:

I agree

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Actually you are the only one who has said to have him arrested. Who are you agreeing with?

Quoting Williams4:

I would have to agree with the other moms, call the cops & have him aressted for stealing your bank card & that you have every rite to have him sit in Juvenile for a period of time then also sell his things jus so he would think again bout stealing. Plus its time for him to get a JOB to make sure that your point is across the board. I would also take any money that he gets from family or friends. I would also make it where he wont have any money in his pocket but only on the school lunch account. Lay down the law wit him so that he knows youre serious. Ive done that to all 3 of my kids. I now have to teach my neiece not to do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN