Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Parent teacher conferences

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 28 Replies

This is a "just out of curiosity" post.  Last night our high school had a parent teacher conference.  From 4-6 parents could come in and go to whichever teachers they wanted to talk to without having to make an appointment.

When I was telling one of my friends about this she said that she hasn't been to a parent teacher conference for her kids since elementary school.  In the areas they have lived the schools haven't had them.

So I'm curious in your area are parent teacher conferences only for elementary schools or do your middle and High schools also offer specific times for parent teacher conferences?  Now we can also get ahold of the teachers and schedule a conference during the teachers free-time during school day anytime.  I'm just curious about the ones the school schedules.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshlor2
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Here it is called open house after elementary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM
We have one on one parent teacher conferences in middle school. HS we have like you, all the teachers are in the gym one night for 2 hours, and 3 hours the following morning. You wait in line for whoever you want to speak to. We have fall and spring conferences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM
We have open house before school starts at each school.

Quoting joshlor2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Is that a one on one with the teachers? Here open house is you follow your child's schedule and the teacher talks for 5 mins about what she/he will be teaching that semester. The parent teacher conference was one on one.

Quoting joshlor2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Parent teacher conference happen in junior high and high school here.

My son just started junior high (7th grade) this year, and our first non-elementary PT conference is going to happen next week.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

We have 1:1 parent teacher conferences in elementary and middle school. In high school we have a back to school night but that is to be introduced to the teachers and hear a brief synopsis about the class. The teacher gives contact info at this time for any issues a student may have.

Chellie13
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I'm in MA and the schools have them for all grade levels usually at the beginning of the year ( a more laid back, meet the teacher sort of thing) and around the time of report cards being issued..  Also, if there's any reason, a parent can email a teacher and set up a meeting anytime.  I personally just don't go to them. My girls are in Middle School and High School levels. 

LizMom2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

We have 1:1 parent teacher conferences in elementary and middle school. In high school we have a back to school night but that is to be introduced to the teachers and hear a brief synopsis about the class. The teacher gives contact info at this time for any issues a student may have.

This is how it is for me as well. Now that the girls are in high school there's no one-on-one parent teacher conferences. I do have their teachers contact information in case any issue does arrive and I can arrange a meeting with a certain teacher and/or counselor if some issue arises but I have not had any need to do that yet.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM
We do not have conferences after elementary school. We have open house, and you can set up a time to meet or talk with a specific teacher if necessary at a separate time.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This is how our high school is also.

Quoting atlmom2:

We have one on one parent teacher conferences in middle school. HS we have like you, all the teachers are in the gym one night for 2 hours, and 3 hours the following morning. You wait in line for whoever you want to speak to. We have fall and spring conferences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)