Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My DD says I'm embarrassing.

I can't have my country music on in my car when I pick her up from school. Someone might hear it. I can't knit while waiting for her. It makes me look old. I have to make sure I don't say anything embarrassing in front of her friends.
Anyone else's teen like this?
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
sunflowers12
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

well, sorta no loud music but we don't listen to country i don't knit so that's not been said.. but i try not to say anything to crazy but my guys are also hard to emmbrase anymore they do it to them selves many times before i will..

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

well, sorta no loud music but we don't listen to country i don't knit so that's not been said.. but i try not to say anything to crazy but my guys are also hard to embarrass anymore they do it to them selves many times before i will..

maryann525
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

lol my kids used to say that if I sang in public, or talked to their friends, I embarrassed them so I sang louder, and when I pick them up at school I get out of the car and say their names very loudly, and talk and hug their friends, (they all love me) I dance in grocery stores. lol My kids are no longer embarrassed by me, they now join in, I guess they figure if you can't shut mom up you might as well join her.

proudmother5946
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I'm thinking part of it may be because she's at a new school. She came in at the end if last year and this is her first full year.
She likes going to the movies with me and shopping though.
I have noticed that she acts ruder after talking to her dad on the phone. I never hear her saying much about stuff here, but I know he's said things in the past.
Someone told me once that kids turn into completely different animals as soon as 'teen' is added to their age. Hopefully this is just a stage.
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Quoting vixen42:

my son told me I was embarrasing last year and I told him it was payback for all the times he embarrassed  me when he was little.Mommy has a very long memory

perfect sidesplittinglaughter

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Maybe it's a girl thing?    I was embarrassed to be seen with my parents when I was a teen!    My sons' don't have a problem with being seen with me at all.     In fact, once while at the mall with my son we saw some of his friends in line at the theater.....I asked him if he wanted me to vanish while he said hello.....he just gave me a weird look and said "Why?  Uh, my friends do know I have a Mother, ya know."

Bertieb
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely! It's a no-win situation really. If you played the music she likes then she would be embarrassed that you are so old listening to her music. How should we dress, it's always either too old or trying to look too young. If I hit the clothes right, then it's my roots showing or she will see something in my teeth or I just said something stupid. One thing is for sure, kids don't put us on a pedestal!

almostthere55
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My DD used to be like that in middle school.  But now that she is a freshman and all her friends love me (lol they tell me all the time they wish they were my daughters), my DD thinks it's ok now.  I am what I am and I'm not going to change.  I still annoy her sometimes, but she doesn't say anything.  Just rolls her eyes and shakes her head.  Then I'll tease her and say, "hey if you don't like it, I'll replace  you with Abby!"  That's her BFF.  She told me one time (which brought me to tears), that the best thing about me was that she can always tell me anything and I will listen with an open mind.

MrsBLB
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Mind have not done that.  Don't let her get away with it.  

Cheribomb
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM

my 15 yr old daughters friends buy my crochet hats & gloves... we all listen to the same music in our family..  70's - now  so music stations do not bother her at all.  i don't think my daughter gets embarrassed of me, im kind of cool LOL  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)