Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My DD says I'm embarrassing.

I can't have my country music on in my car when I pick her up from school. Someone might hear it. I can't knit while waiting for her. It makes me look old. I have to make sure I don't say anything embarrassing in front of her friends.
Anyone else's teen like this?
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (41-50):
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Tell her it's pay back for all those embarrasing toddler moments you suffered thru!

tyfry7496
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
My friend and I told our now teens that we had to sign parenting contracts that we had to make their lives miserable. We had to have rules, consequences and we had to be embarrassing. It's our job. They believed us for a while. They'd even ask if certain things parents did was in "the contract".

Quoting leighp1:

I tell her that its my job to embarrass her.  It came with my parenting book my mother gave me and her mother gave her and her mother gave her and so on and so on and then I laugh and snort!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloesmommy777
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Aren't they all? I know I was (I once was mortified because my Dear Dad was playing Big Band music in our car and we were giving a ride for my crush of the week.. ) My daughter is for the most part ..LOL!

proudmother5946
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Yesterday at the drivethru at Mcdonalds I was drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. She was on her phone, on Facebook, and I was "annoying her, please stop". Di t started drumming my fingers on the roof of the car. "mom, stop, that's annoying". So I told her that her looking at her phone was annoying me. She just rolled her eyes.
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

NOt anymore when she tells me how to act I act WAY more embarassing. She is cool with me now. :)

the3Rs
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Nope. My kids know better than to talk to me like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
girlsclubmom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I do Country in my car too as opposed to the other moms who let them have on the popular music. My kids always tell me how much there friends like me. I think its more about their ability to be comfortable with who they are and not care about their mom being able to fit into the "cool mom" model.

One of my kids had a habit of dissing her little sister yo her friends to look"cool". We had a long talk about how important your family is and how in the long run family is so much more important then friends. Also, your friends will look down on you and your family ultimately if you are not a champion of your family. It really opened her eyes and now she takes all opportunities to build her little sis up to her peers - she feel better about herself and their relationship has really flourished. Also, her friends would never now diss her sister my daughter has taught them by her actions that it is not acceptable and they have become big fans of the lil sis.

LoveLiz
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My kids are not embarresed of me. Few call me mom! LOL

Gmgej
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Oh yes and we relish in loud "I LOVE YOU!!!!!!" when we drop him off at school, we dance in stores, talk loudly, and sometimes fart, he now just shakes his head and laughs. I don't embarass him ever by yelling at him or disciplining him in front of friends but I will be silly. My youngest is now entering this stage, so round three for us.

marney.p
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Welcome to the club.

One of my teenagers tells me the same thing. I would tell them thats because you are ald and thats what old people do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN