Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My son got in school suspension last week

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 20 Replies
Just found out today because the school mailed us a copy of the write up. I never got a phone call and of course
My ds didnt volunteer the info.

He was smoking a cig in the parking lot before school. Not sure how to procede. He is already grounded for
His previous actions. He has no privleges at home. We have educated him on the dangers of smoking. I feel like
I should do more. Just at a loss and burnt out on this kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I am so sorry.    My teen smokes.   Like yours, he knows the risks and chooses to do it anyway.   I don't bug him about it anymore.  It is a losing battle.    As for the suspension, there isn't much you can do if he has already lost all priveledges at home, except to give him work chores.     I figure if the kid is grounded and can't go out, have friends over, or use electronics...he has time on his hands to work around the house!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Wow, not sure what to do.  Did you know he smoked?  How old is your son?  I would take it up with the school about not being notified until after the fact.  That is something you need to take action on immediately.  Does he have a reason for smoking?

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM
You may just have to let him deal with the consequences of his choices. Horrible choices at that. If you've already grounded him and talked to him there is not much else you can do.

I'd call the school and find out why they didn't call you. My son has been given detention and suspended and I was called immediately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferSq
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

Wow, not sure what to do.  Did you know he smoked?  How old is your son?  I would take it up with the school about not being notified until after the fact.  That is something you need to take action on immediately.  Does he have a reason for smoking?

He just turned 16.  I know he has smoked on and off in the past.  He used to lean out of his bedroom window and put the used cigartte butts under the vinyl siding of our house.  This was around 7 or 8 months ago.  When I found out I made him clean out all the butts and I am sure he was grounded, I just don't remember.  Since then I told him no smoking in my house, and no smoking for him period, he is 16, and not legally allowed to smoke. 

CTBmom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I would first call the school.... You definitely should have been notified immediately by phone. Second, I would sit down with him and show him pics of people who have lung cancer, and pics of lungs of smokers. It may not get him to stop, but it can't hurt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LanaTsunami
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Does he have have any positive male role models in his life? Maybe a big brother/big sister program or the YMCA would do him some good. Is he in any ExtraCuricular activities? Get him into something that can keep him away from doing harm to himself & others
LanaTsunami
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Or maybe make him do volunteer work at a cancer place so he can see how it's dangerous to smoke
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Who is buying him the cigarettes? They are not cheap and he can't legally buy them. I would probably ground him a month from everything, and keep snooping and checking his room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately you can't do anything about the in school suspension, but I would contact the school and raise the question as to why you weren't notified.  Is his dad home right now, or deployed?  (I know we have several of us military families on here but can't remember who's home and who's not)

Have you asked him where he is getting the cigarettes.  If I was in your shoes I would be confronting that person because not only is smoking at 16 illegal so is providing cigarettes to a 16yo.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

tell him part of his punishment is a 10 page report on the dangers of smoking. Give him one week to do it. Tell him ALL privileges are suspended until you receive his report. He is in "boy Jail" until further notice. That means you strip his room, remove the door, he stays in there except for bathroom, meals and school. Take him to the library and get him some books on smoking. Then give him paper, pencil, and the books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)