Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling with new dynamics of high school and my daughter making friends with kids I don't know.

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM
We moved around a lot. We were always meeting our girls new friends. We all loved it. What is the issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that when your daughter was in kindergarten, she made friends with kids you didn't know.  Just like when your dd was 5,  before you let her go out with them, or go to their homes, you get to know them & their parents.  Invite them to your home.  Ask their parents to stop in for a cuppa.  Don't let her hang out with kids more than a  ear older than her, unless YOU are supervising the gettogether.  Volunteering for the clubs and functions she is interested in, is another way to meet the kids and their parents, that your child is interested in.  Worked out fine for us.  I don't see the problem. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Have your daughter invite them to the house, and then don't hover, just be available.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to growing up, the older they get the less you know about there friends. 

MrsBLB
by Missi on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM

It gets harder as they get older sometimes.  Have fun getting to know them  :)

leighp1
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM

I totally understand.  When my daughter was in elementary school I was very involved in the school and knew all the kids, then she moved to middle school and I still knew most of the kids/friends. Now she is in high school and she skipped a year so most of these kids are a year older and I don't know any of them because none of them went to school with her. It's hard, but the way I handle it is by knowing that I raised her with the knowledge of right and wrong and I can only hope that she uses that knowledge to make all the decisions.  We also have a great communication system and she tells me everything.  Sometimes I wish she wouldn't. LOL  good luck and know that your not the only one.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM

It is a hard adjustment to make but there is no reason you can't meet some of her friends especially if she wants to go to their house or go somewhere to hang out with them.  Our rule has always been that we had to meet the friends and parents before they went somewhere with them especially if they were going to the other person's house.  

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

It is a common occurance, it comes with the the age.     Ask her to invite her new friends over for a slumber party, movie night or pizza.   Maybe she can host a Holiday party. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)