Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Wow....cell phone for younger kids

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM
  • 27 Replies

It seems like a lot of pre teens have a cell phone now..... what happened to the days of actually talking to your kids, not texting etc.??   

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM
My dd had a cell phone at age 11 because I went back to school snd I would be accessible to her while in class via text. She is a freshman in HS now, so yes she texts quite a bit now but back then the cell was mainly used as a safety precaution.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on the reason. I don't have an issue with pre teens having phones as long as its a need such as kids walking home from school or staying after school and needing to call parents for a ride. My kids were 13 & 16 when they got theirs. They didn't have a need for phones up til then. We got them phones when we did because we don't have a house phone and DH was going away for 6 months so I needed the kids to have at least one phone if they were home alone for some reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM

My kids all have cell phones, they all text others.  The only time I text is if I know that they could still be doing something at school and to let them know I'm waiting.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I would not allow mine till hs and only if grades are good. She bought her own at 16 and later when grades improved, we paid. Phones are a luxury and never a need. They are a want. So many have them, its easy to borrow one if need be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting fantasticfour:

My kids all have cell phones, they all text others.  The only time I text is if I know that they could still be doing something at school and to let them know I'm waiting.

yup ,I only text if I need to tell them something about picking up or waiting.They check their phones at lunch and soon as school is out.

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM

For us mine get them in middle school.Different than in grade school coaches ,drama teachers ,choir directors can change plans and don't wait for parents to pick up.So this way mine always could contact me if that happened and it did.

In elementary the coaches etc wait till all kids are picked up so there wasn't a need.

Melissa573
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My son got his phone at the age of 12 because that was about the time dances and school functions off site happened. I don't let him take it to school. But even in wm, I make sure he and I can locate one another. AND it is a great punishment for major misconduct or such. That's what we do and he is 13 now and has seemed to work rather well.  wink

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Mine get theirs when there iwas a need. Some kids do need them earlier then others, but it's about safety and if they are going to be spending longer hours away from home, with less adult supervision then I feel it is okay. When younger though the phone would only be for me and them, around 15 I would start allowing more access for them. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

We added our son to the family plan at 10. It was more for our conveniene than his.

Who are you to judge? And what makes you think just because a kid has a cellphone that their parents don't talk to them?

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My boys didn't get 1 until age 16. at that time they shared one. I was used to call me on the way home from school sports that were held in another town. Our school doesn't have pay phones and kids aren't allowed to use school phones. Once they got their license they were given a basic phone with no texting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)