Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How social is your Pre-Teen/Teen?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 16 Replies

Does your kids have a big social life? We live in a small area and my son doesn't really have the opportunity to see friends outside of school. Every now and again, some will come stay the night but that's it. He's involved in many activities throughout the year but when we are home, he'd rather be on his X Box playing Live with friends on there. I don't want him to clam up and do this all the time.

Do any of your kids have online hang outs? I have researched this topic a lot and found that most sites for kids his age are too "kiddy" for him. He's more mature than the club penguin type sites. 

Just thought I'd ask and see what everyone else's teens do! 

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Sounds pretty normal for pre-teens. I think mine were 16/17 when they really started to get out more. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My boys were very social. In part because I took the time to take them and their friends places. I would take a carload of kids to sporting events, free concerts in the city, the beach, all kinds of places. On the weekend we always had a group here esp in summer. We had a pool and would have 20 kids here almost every night of summer. They were also invited places and to sleep overs. my sons never had a Gaming system until ages 14 & 15. They played sports so that also kept them busy.

daspencer08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yeah mine plays sports and I'm the "cool" mom to his friends. There just isn't anything here. We have to travel like 2 hours to get to anything great... it's just a boring area.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
One socialite, one with a smalll core group of friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Ds1 has a small group of good friends, but none of them live in our neighborhood, or even within biking distance, so he mostly just hangs out at home or plays w/ his younger brother and his friends (on the Wii, football outside or riding bikes). He and his best friend do set up "hang out" time sometimes. He's also in Scouts, so he's out being social at least once a wk w/ meetings, and sometimes on weekends w/ outings.

daspencer08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Ds1 has a small group of good friends, but none of them live in our neighborhood, or even within biking distance, so he mostly just hangs out at home or plays w/ his younger brother and his friends (on the Wii, football outside or riding bikes). He and his best friend do set up "hang out" time sometimes. He's also in Scouts, so he's out being social at least once a wk w/ meetings, and sometimes on weekends w/ outings.

I hear ya about the area you live in. We live in town ourselves but none of his friends live close. My son is also in Scouts and does a lot of gaming with online friends. I wish he had a brother or sister to play with. That's where his biggest hang up is... being an only child. 

KeriAZ
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

In RL No. Has one friend.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

My oldest had a group he hung out with a lot.    My youngest is a gamer, he spent hours on xbox live.   His friends mostly hung out at our house.   He prefered to be at home as opposed to going to public places, he hates crowds.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I worry about those xbox live things.  Too many oppurtunities for sexual predators to find the kids.  As far as being social, my 16 year old does nothing with friends outside of school.  It drives me up the wall.  Has no one over, goes no where.

daspencer08
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I totally understand all that. My son would rather be in his room on the X Box or on his IPod or something... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)