Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you guys do something special? ADDED PICTURE

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't consider myself wealthy by any means.  However, we are comfortable at the moment and I want to show others how thankful I am that they are around.  I live in a small neighborhood, about 100 houses.  Because many of the people in the neighborhood are elderly, and I know many have no family close, I decided to do something special for EVERYONE in the neighborhood. 

I bake, and love to.  I also sell my products when I am able to.  I made a few bucks at the farmer's market this year and had a blast!  Well I decided for Thanksgiving, I would bake a mini loaf of from scratch gingerbread for every house in our neighborhood.  Yes it is time consuming but I think it's just as rewarding. 

I am having a little card printed up (hubby is using the printer at work) that is a simple happy thanksgiving, from us.  Nice little quote from Shakspeare in there about gingerbread, and on the back is the ingredients and the nutritional information for it.

What do you think?  Would you accept a gift like that?

This is what they look like all dolled up

This is what it looked like before it got dolled up.

I made WAY too many for the neighborhood, so we ended up taking them to our police department, the neighboring town's police department and the neighboring town's fire department (our is all volunteer so no one was there).

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would! Very thoughtful of you! The neighbors will appreciate it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Very nice, if I didn't know the person who made it, I prob wouldn't eat it, but I'm odd that way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Yes I do that with strawberry bread.It gets eaten because I get notes and people at the door asking for the recipe

I have even had people show up talking about family coming in and how they told them how good it was...hints for me to make them more.Took a few times but learned to have the recipe ready and tell them how much fun they and their family will have making it together LOL.

You will enjoy doing this as much as those enjoy receiving your generosity.

lakajungurl
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:23 AM
That's so sweet of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM
That is so sweet of you, I'm dire everyone will love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Absolutely!   I think it is very sweet of you.    I do neighbor gifts at Christmas....most of our neighbors do as well.   There are only 13 houses, though.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Lucky you been baking since 8am and am not done, going door to door this evening.  I'll post a picture of the finished product when I'm done.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Absolutely!   I think it is very sweet of you.    I do neighbor gifts at Christmas....most of our neighbors do as well.   There are only 13 houses, though.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM

what a wonderful thing to do.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I would appreciate a gift like that.  I make them for neighbors and friends.

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I would enjoy it if I knew the person who made it, if not I would take it but not sure I would eat it unless one of the other neighbors knew who it was from. 

That is so sweet of you to do it will be rewarding knowng that people are enjoying it.

cornucopia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)