Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Put between a rock & a hard spot

Posted by   + Show Post

Our school will NOT sit a kid out of a game or practice for getting bad grades till high school.  They leave it up to parents till then.  Do you think it's important to set the example if your kid is doing poorly all with grades?  My 14 yo dd is in 8th grade basketball and her grades are dropping. I'm talking F's on tests & quizzes (she just won't study for them). One of her grades has dropped to a D (which has never happened before). This isn't in just one class it's all of her classes except one that have dropped after the 1st quarter.  We are thinking of telling her that if it continues and she doesn't pull them up she will miss a game. Would you do this?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Replies (11-19):
02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You should let her learn the lesson now since next year it will be a rule and she will do better then because she knows the consequences

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

In a heartbeat grades before sports. I expect good grades in my house. You earn privliges with the grades no good grades no provliges. D's and NOT an acceptable grade. IDK about you but to us that is our daughters future not her sports ability.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No doubt about it.    School is top priority.   

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I agree~

Quoting atlmom2:

Absolutely. I would give her a week and tell her she won't go to.practice or games till grades go up.

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That is NCAA (I think thats right) Well in high school if they have any E's they sit out...Heck my kids got good grades when they played it was after the season is when they dropped. I do not understand why grades have anything to do with sports....I look at sports as a way to keep them out of trouble! Why would you ant him to sit out? What is that teaching him?

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

yes

Quoting mumsy2three:

I agree~

Quoting atlmom2:

Absolutely. I would give her a week and tell her she won't go to.practice or games till grades go up.

chloesmommy777
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Sometimes the right thing to do is hard, yet worth it in the long run... do her a huge favour and follow through with the rule!

robyann
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Yes I think you should do this, but I think she should still go to the games but just sit on the bench and not be allowed to play. But she still has the responsiblity to her team and to cheer them on.

Chelsey191
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I would talk to her, explain that bad grades are unacceptable. She would be given one month to bring her grades up before I made her quit the team. As well for that one month probation it would be school and the team and all other time would be sent on studying, no friends no tv just school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)