Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

High School Bans Makeup for a Day So Our Daughters Can See How Beautiful They Are - Would you be up for a No Makeup Day?

Posted by   + Show Post

High School Bans Makeup for a Day So Our Daughters Can See How Beautiful They Are

Posted by Jeanne Sager on November 19, 2012 

makeupLooking for a new holiday to celebrate? How about No Makeup Day? Yup, it's real. Even better, it was dreamed up by a bunch of teenage girls and celebrated at their high school last week.

You couldn't get me to go back to high school if you paid me a large sum of money and threw a few chocolate bars in to sweeten the pot. But something tells me I would have been pretty comfortable at New London High School. At least for a day.

The girls who created No Makeup Day and convinced their administrators to go through with it say it was a response to the pressure put on teenagers -- especially teen girls -- to be "perfect." They were hoping a day with no makeup would help remind their classmates that beauty is skin deep.

I'd like to wrap each of those girls in a big, fat hug.

I look at some of the teen girls walking around the mall, and I shudder. They look like they're preparing for a Vogue magazine shoot instead of shopping for a new pair of Uggs. The question is why they feel that much makeup and those kind of clothes are necessary. Is it society's pressure or their parents' failure to fight said pressure?

My daughter is only 7 and far too young for real makeup. But already I'm struggling with how to explain the concept of beauty to her without making her feel pressured to reach some impossible goal.

I look at her, and I see a beautiful girl (doesn't every mother?). But I know I will one day have to face her desire to use makeup, to dress fashionably (forget one day, we're already there!). The challenge isn't in whether or not to allow her to do so but in explaining that clothes and makeup are there to enhance beauty that already exists, not to "make" one beautiful.

I'm not saying No Makeup Day should be every day, although I'd like to see an event like this in every school in America at least once a year. Makeup and beautiful clothes aren't inherently bad, but our girls need to know how to use them appropriately in their lives.

Do you struggle with this with your daughter? Would you be up for a No Makeup Day?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
CTBmom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I think it's a great idea! But I can see how it could make some girls uncomfortable, like if they have bad skin. Me, I hardly ever wear makeup.... If I remember, I put on some BB cream and mascara. For special occasions, I will add lipstick and eyeshadow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Who gave them the right to ban makeup? That's overreaching and paternalistic and patronizing, and will end up making the girls feel more stress about their looks and bad about themselves for this day. Who gave them the right? It's not the girls who need any attention, it's the multitude of societal messages to them. Just as bad as the societal pressure that tells women and girls they must look pretty, is the heavy handed mandate to not wear makeup. Societal messages tell girls 'you must look pretty - you better use this makeup". Now administrators are saying 'we know what's best for how you should look, you must look pretty but not wear any makeup (because they've done NOTHING to negate the societal pressure that females must look pretty).

Actually, what the school admijnistrators have done is worse, because it combines the two pressures - nothing has been done to society's pressure on girls to look pretty and now for this day at school they have to still bear the burden of that pressure plus now the added burden of trying to look pretty without one of the main tools girls use to relieve that pressure. I think it's abuse.

This administration action is blaming the victim, shaming the victim, putting loads of extra pressure on the victims - The girls who are trying to get by in this society, where the sub-text of a million different societal messages are: a female's looks are the key ingredient in her self worth.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Why don't they instead have a day where the boys are objectified by the girls? Where pictures of good looking, well built, scantily clad boys are put up and girls decide which boys best live up or not to these non-realistic images?

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Sorry I disagree if a girl has been taught to love herself for who she is and not what she looks like then she will be fine with it.   

I would hope any girl can live through a day without makeup if not she has a deeper problem than being told to go a day without makeup.

Don't get me wrong I can understand if she is covering acne and would be embarrassed I would say concealer would be fine but nothing else no eye shadow, eye or lip liner, lipstick mascara, or blush 

Quoting annie2244:

Who gave them the right to ban makeup? That's overreaching and paternalistic and patronizing, and will end up making the girls feel more stress about their looks and bad about themselves for this day. Who gave them the right? It's not the girls who need any attention, it's the multitude of societal messages to them. Just as bad as the societal pressure that tells women and girls they must look pretty, is the heavy handed mandate to not wear makeup. Societal messages tell girls 'you must look pretty - you better use this makeup". Now administrators are saying 'we know what's best for how you should look, you must look pretty but not wear any makeup (because they've done NOTHING to negate the societal pressure that females must look pretty).

Actually, what the school admijnistrators have done is worse, because it combines the two pressures - nothing has been done to society's pressure on girls to look pretty and now for this day at school they have to still bear the burden of that pressure plus now the added burden of trying to look pretty without one of the main tools girls use to relieve that pressure. I think it's abuse.

This administration action is blaming the victim, shaming the victim, putting loads of extra pressure on the victims - The girls who are trying to get by in this society, where the sub-text of a million different societal messages are: a female's looks are the key ingredient in her self worth.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I agree. My girls had zero body issues. Me too.

Quoting 02nana07:

Sorry I disagree if a girl has been taught to love herself for who she is and not what she looks like then she will be fine with it.   

I would hope any girl can live through a day without makeup if not she has a deeper problem than being told to go a day without makeup.

Don't get me wrong I can understand if she is covering acne and would be embarrassed I would say concealer would be fine but nothing else no eye shadow, eye or lip liner, lipstick mascara, or blush 

Quoting annie2244:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moniagee
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM
My dd is only 4, but I usually don't leave the house without make-up, but I do have those days where I look at my kit and be like "I ain't messing with this stuff today" lol. So yeah, I can go without make-up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annie2244
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

No one has the right to tell women what they can or can't wear. It's just as patronizing and paternalistic for society to give messages that women must be pretty to be worthy and define what pretty means, as it is for school administrators to dictate what the girls  should and should not wear. 

mgm_5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM
My daughters are only 7 and 2 so i don't have to worry about that just yet lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quoting annie2244:

No one has the right to tell women what they can or can't wear. It's just as patronizing and paternalistic for society to give messages that women must be pretty to be worthy and define what pretty means, as it is for school administrators to dictate what the girls  should and should not wear. 

I agree

3mom627
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Our 13 year old FD does not wear a lot of make up. My 18 year old usually does eye make up which makes her look really pretty. I wouldn't mind a no make up day at work as long as everyone else did it.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)