Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My teen wants to pierce...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

her navel. We originally said "nope"- too young, doesn't feel right to us. but lately I've wondered if we just say no as a knee jerk response- she's a freshman in high school, plays softball, keeps up her grades, she's clean (obsessed with clean in fact, lol...) and responsible. I kind of feel that we're perhaps fighting a battle that doesn't need to be fought- what's the real harm I wonder? She wants to express herself and excercise her own personality and style- she dresses conservatively for the most part (except for those darn short shorts, but jesus you can't even find long ones anymore and when I do she swears she feels like an amish girl in them, lol)- but she's fairly shy, quiet- I don't think the piercing will turn her into girls gone wild and maybe sometimes the path of least resistance is okay, right? I mean, yes, we need to press her to keep up her grades, and yes, she does need to clean her room, but if she wants a different haircut or a navel piercing, I have begun to think why NOT? really?

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Not until 18 is what I said. Its so scarring when removed because eventually they grow out of the belly piercing phase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Not until 18 is what I said. Its so scarring when removed because eventually they grow out of the belly piercing phase.

and that is a concern, possible scarring, it's unclear if one will scar or not, it's individual, each person seems to react differently, some scar or reject the piercing, others put it in take it out and heal no problem, there's no way of knowing. That is one thing I'll talk with her more in depth about, the possibility of scarring-

jdfmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I got my navel pierced freshmen year, I say let her if shes keeping up her grades and doesn't dress trashy... You described her as a good girl I say let her do it :) At least a piercing you can take out!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM

my thoughts on navel piercing is the same thought I have on a tramp stamp.  Witht he facial piercings, my cousin has several and they just look trashy to me.

bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:03 AM
I agree, esp with the facial and wouldn't want my dd to be perceived that way, at least with the navel it won't be seen. However like I told my dd who is a freshman in HS WHO are you going to be showing your navel off to anyway? Idk, my dd is unlucky in the piercing department anyway, I'm an RN, have worked in the ER for years and have seen just one too many infections from piercings all over the body. When she's an adult and old enough to where I don't need to sign any type of consent form she can pierce what ever she wants until then only her ears

Quoting fantasticfour:

my thoughts on navel piercing is the same thought I have on a tramp stamp.  Witht he facial piercings, my cousin has several and they just look trashy to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I allowed piercings at 14 as freshman. Nope it doesn't turn good girls bad. My 15 yo has her lip and naval pierced and she is very modest. Same as my 17yo. I think its just a stereotype. No tattoos allowed until 18 because they are permanent. Good luck.
*****added pics of my daughters****
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Jasmine 17 has her naval pierced at 15. Took it out this year just didn't want anymore. Straight A student. Not a tramp.
friendlymom5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Joslyn 15 naval and lip pierced. Good daughter and person. Not tramp either. Posing with her little sister.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:07 AM
I had mine pierced for my 35th birthday after about 3 months the ball I had in there fell out. By the time I realized it, the piercing had started to close. I have absolutely no scar. OP I think your daughters biggest concern is sports. She can't just remove it or it will close. I personally wouldn't want my daughter to get it done as it was so painful. It wasn't the initial piercing that hurt, but the healing process. If you have anything rubbing on it at all it hurts. My DD saw what I went through when I got mine done and she's totally against ever doing it herself.

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Quoting atlmom2:

and that is a concern, possible scarring, it's unclear if one will scar or not, it's individual, each person seems to react differently, some scar or reject the piercing, others put it in take it out and heal no problem, there's no way of knowing. That is one thing I'll talk with her more in depth about, the possibility of scarring-

gotnothinonme
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM

good points ladies- all of them...I've already told her no for now, I'm going to roll this around in my head a bit more. I *think* I'm leaning towards letting her do it...I feel like I've told her and told her if you're responsible and honest I will trust and respect you, and now I'm just saying NO all the time, even to my OWN ears it doesn't seem fair. Being mom sometimes just sucks, lol...I feel like the warden sometimes...I just want her to know that we're paying attention that we see her accomplishments, that we RAVE about her, that we trust her and that we respect her as her own person- a big deal around here because we've got a HOUSEFULL and sometmes it can feel like you're lost in the crowd, kwim???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN