Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do your teens want for Christmas?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids don't want any big items, it's just that what the want is getting pricey. I have 4 kids and I am already stressing about where to get all the money for the gifts.  

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
DarlaHood
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I'm cutting way back this Christmas. 

I'm using the 4 gift rule:  1 thing they want, 1 thing they need, 1 thing to wear, 1 thing to read. 

So my youngest (18) will be getting concert tickets, A target gift card for things she might need when she heads back to college after Christimas, pajamas, and a meaningful book that I want to share with her.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I feel you on that.  I really do.  Mine don't want big items but the items they do want are pricey.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM
New Ipod Touch. DD 21 wants a downpipe on her car, whatever that is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

we're cutting back this year too- my sister and I decided five gifts from each of us is sufficient- last year was completely ridiculous and over the top- my sister and I shop in bits and pieces all year and just didn't realize how much stuff we had accumulated until we wrapped it and put it out - the excess was too much. so we put limits this year, and like you I have some rules that I've always applied- at least one educational item, 1 needed item, 1 totally frivolous fun item. I like your 4 gift rule- I usually do give them books, but I never had it in mind, we're just readers, lol..

Quoting DarlaHood:

I'm cutting way back this Christmas. 

I'm using the 4 gift rule:  1 thing they want, 1 thing they need, 1 thing to wear, 1 thing to read. 

So my youngest (18) will be getting concert tickets, A target gift card for things she might need when she heads back to college after Christimas, pajamas, and a meaningful book that I want to share with her.

rnmomo2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

An ipod touch, clothes, cologne, and he collects crazy hats.

Preteen wants a ds3d and some games

MomofSCMJJA
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My kids are being very modest in what they are asking for since my husband is out of work (again).  Normally, the budget is $10 per year for the kids, but we have made it clear that that is probably not going to happen this year.  With six of them, just the basic budget is almost $900.  Most years we manage it by spreading it out over several months, but this year my husband has been unemployed or underemployed for all but 3 months.  Fortunately, most of them are old enough to understand and are fine with only getting small things.  Even my 11 year old who wanted a PS Vita, went online and found that he can get a used PSP for $59 and asked if he could get it instead of the Vita.  My 14 year old desperately wants a new iPod Touch since hers was stolen recently, but she has made it clear that she understands if she doesn't get it. Only the 9 year old rattled off a long list of things, although none of them are overly expensive (Legos, Nerf guns, XBox 360 games).  Times like this I am really glad that we have always been conservative at Christmas so it won't be an ugly shock that they aren't being lavished with gifts.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Nothing much here. We are getting her snow board waxed and sharpened for her and her lacrosse stick restrung. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

my kids only get 4 gifts for chirstmas... I got their lists yesterday

18 - yoga pants, tennis shoes, mac g.c., & watch

16 - guitar cable, guitar tuner, video game, & guitar (he is putting money towards this)

11 - bulletin board, shirt, just dance game, & kindle fire

coleysmama
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

On his list is...

Beats headphones, a laptop, PS3 games, gamestop giftcard, kindle giftcard and Itunes giftcard.

He'll get the headphones as his big gift, some giftcards and maybe a couple of funny tees, and a new watch ( not expensive).

Momsalawyer
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM

My boys (17 and 16) want money, clothes and maybe like gift cards for food, movies, etc.  They date and drive and need cash all the time.  My 12 year old boy wants a new gaming system, we'll see.  The expensive one is my perpetually broke 21 year old college senior girl-her lap top died (she's had it since high school) last night and she wants a new phone.  Haven't figured out who is getting what yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)