Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do your teens want for Christmas?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids don't want any big items, it's just that what the want is getting pricey. I have 4 kids and I am already stressing about where to get all the money for the gifts.  

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

they both want ipads.We explained that would be most of their present.I will get them discounted movie tickets for their stockings from costco.They love books so they always get that.Plus a few minor things .Our 14 y.o is getting amazon and halfprice books giftcards from aunts and uncles.My mom is giving him a turntable/cd player.He is now into "vinyl" not dj style he just loves vinyl ; ) so aunts and uncles are giving gift cards so he can purchase vinyl.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM

My dd got a record player two years ago, it also had a cd player, radio going on. She had so much fun shopping for records and discovered a few new bands while she was at it.

Quoting drfink:

they both want ipads.We explained that would be most of their present.I will get them discounted movie tickets for their stockings from costco.They love books so they always get that.Plus a few minor things .Our 14 y.o is getting amazon and halfprice books giftcards from aunts and uncles.My mom is giving him a turntable/cd player.He is now into "vinyl" not dj style he just loves vinyl ; ) so aunts and uncles are giving gift cards so he can purchase vinyl.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Let's see

My 20 year old asked for a movie and a CD. He never knows what he wants so I'll probably throw in some new head phones and an iTunes card.

My 20 year old dd asked for a coat, and I bought her an outfit.

My 20 year old son asked for a remote control helicopter, just got that for him today. Haven't figured out what else yet.

The 18 year old dd is still undecided.

Two of the younger ones are getting tablets, while the two youngest are getting childrens tablets.

They'll be more after tomorrow that's for sure.

almostthere55
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I have three kids.  Each will get $300 in money and gifts (from their wish list).   Some may think that is too much, but we don't buy a whole lot during the year, only necessities.  My boys are 19 & 22 so they usually just want the money.  My daughter just turned 15 and wants boots, a new laptop and a new phone.  She will get the phone when her contract is up in Jan and will only get one for $50 or less (stupid to spend more at her age).  I'm not sure about the laptop. We will search for deals on that one.

ccleri56
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM

my ds wants an electric guitar. he is 15. 

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM
My only child, 16. Wants a Borderlands game for XBox and money. I also got him a docking station/speaker for his iPod and a Guiness Book of World records (a tradition).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christine9576
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM
He wants a new ps3 with a bunch of games.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stephs5isenough
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

My kids got their Ipods last year so this year my boys are each wanting a video game but my daughter ahs more things she wants.  Mostly teenage girly things.  Ofcourse, $$$CASH$$$ is always on the list.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Living In the Arms of Jesus

annie2244
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

If they don't need the gifts why not donate then, adopt a family in need, ect? I agree, if your children already live a priv life and you believe it's all "unecessary status driven stuff" I would put your money and time to much better use.

Quoting annie2244:

We set a limit of about $175 or so per kid, with one big item up to $100, and then I use the other $75 to buy a bunch of smaller stuff on their list. If their one big item costs more than $100, they have to use their own money to supplement.

One kid wants to change her phone to an iphone, since tmobile now covers that. She is going to get the last generation iphone on ebay, since that stays in her $100 budget from us.

The other kid can never think of anything she wants. She's happy with little, isn't interested in showing off. I keep telling her to 'squeek!' a little more, it'd be ok!

If we couldn't afford this budget amount, we'd set a smaller budget.My philosophy is if you can't pay for something in cash, then you shouldn't be buying it. It's all unnecessary fluff. I'm not going to put an unnecessary fluff on credit and pay interest on it. If that's the case, Christmas could be handmade gifts and wrapped homemade cards listing nice favors we'll do for each other, if need be, and it would be fine.

We can afford more  - but it's all fluff! I don't want my kid thinking a new shiny electronic dodad or special name brand whatever is of import. It's materialistic unnecessary status driven fluff! Amusing, fun, but not meaningful. They have a privileged life as it s, I don't want an over the top christmases and birthdays to screw up their values.

Well, it's a small percentage of folks that are buying their teens christmas gifts that they 'need'. What has been mentioned by people who've responded to this post?  Ugg boots, Coach products, a new cellphone, a laptop.... Completely unnecessary and indulgent fluffy stuff. We're not writing in that we're buying kids a new multipack of underwear and a new pair of Target sneakers. 

My point is that I'm setting limits on how much I spend and on how much any one item can cost not for budgetary reasons, but because I don't want to create shallow materialistic young adults. My kids lead a privileged life not b/c they own tons of this fluffy stuff, but b/c they have enriched summer experiences, european trips, will have no higher ed debt, they're surrounded by family and friends who are highly educated, with richly cultured and interesting lives.

I don't care about ugg boots. I care that my kids are learning languages and instruments and debate ideas and wish to study hard and do interesting things with their time. Ugg boots and Coach purses and the newest version of an iphone is materialistic drivel. It's a dangerous siren call away from what actually IS interesting and important.

mrjonesii
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

My soon to be 16 year old want an iphone. We don't buy our kids expensive items like this. So she want to take her Christmas money (that what they get from everyone for Christmas) and money she saved in bank to buy one. We're thinking about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)