Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Do You Think of a Teen Maternity Leave Plan?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
  • 29 Replies

Maternity Leaves From School Are the Last Thing Teen Moms Need

Posted by Jeanne Sager

schoolMaternity leave is a hot button issue for mothers in a country that lags far behind most first world nations in providing for new moms. But the ACLU of New Mexico isn't looking to fight for some time off from your job right now. They're too focused on trying to set up a teen maternity leave.

That's one way to deal with the teen pregnancy problem, huh? Get these girls more time away from school?

The plan would enable teenage mothers to have 14 excused absences per semester from school rather than the typical 10. There's also talk of another 10 days on top of that for these girls to spend at home, be it to recover from birth or to bond with their babies.

Reading details, I'm more mixed than I expected to be when I first saw the words "teen maternity leave."

Maternity leave is certainly beneficial to both a mother and her baby. Time together allows a mother to develop important routines that will enable her to be successful at breastfeeding. It promotes healthy practices that benefit kids far beyond the baby stage. It shows a mother that she has value as a mother! Considering statistics already show that the children of teen mothers generally have a decreased chance at success in comparison to their peers, these kids (and the moms) could use a little extra help.

But what are we talking about here? Four extra days per semester? That's hardly enough time to get a breastfeeding routine going or recover from the trauma of giving birth. We aren't actually talking about anything that would positively impact the lives of these girls or their babies.

Instead, I fear, it will sound like a special perk for the pregnant girls, something other teens will say "aww, no fair" about and maybe even be drawn to. As for the moms, I fear it will encourage them to spend more time away from school, to be pulled into the ranks of the one-third of teen mothers who never end up getting a high school diploma or GED.

Perhaps, instead of putting emphasis on getting these kids more time away from school, we need to push schools to improve their sex education. We need to push schools to be more accommodating for teen mothers overall, not necessarily by giving them extra absences but by providing alternate means to earn a diploma to ensure that these girls do graduate.

What do you think of the teen maternity leave plan?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM
5 moms liked this

I think more time should be put into figuring out how we went from teen pregnancy being taboo to it being an accepted way of life. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Hell no. Its like rewarding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

How is four extra days going to make any difference?  How is this a "plan"?

Sex education won't make any difference, and it isn't the schools job to educate on moral issues anyway.  It is a parental job.  The kid is going to have sex or not, based upon her own values and upbringing and opportunity for temptation to be played out.

Wantn1more
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
How is this a bad thing? Seriously.... 4 extra days off of school is a reward? Look, teen pregnancy happens whether we like it or not. If we can keep teen moms in school, why is that so bad?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM
True

Quoting TranquilMind:

How is four extra days going to make any difference?  How is this a "plan"?

Sex education won't make any difference, and it isn't the schools job to educate on moral issues anyway.  It is a parental job.  The kid is going to have sex or not, based upon her own values and upbringing and opportunity for temptation to be played out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

hell no

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I don't see this making a difference on the ones who go on to graduate or get a GED anyway. We need to start at the root of the issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
21lisa72
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I would rather see them get the appropriate time to recover. However during recovery with the exception of a week or two have to keep up with school work on line or with a tutor for kids that are out on medical leave so they are expected to keep up on work. I think it would help them from falling behind and dropping out or just quiting and attempting to get a GED which they may never do.
When I was in high school there was a special school for the pregnant girls it would teach them regular stuff as well as how to care for an infant. When the baby was born they brought the baby with them to school worked towards diploma got child care were able to tend to their babies needs while being taught ideal care. Ideal I don't now but it did get more girls to graduate educated about being moms and they were still able to bond with their babies as needed and if they breastfed they could. I don't think it encouraged them to get pregnant because they were isolated from the regular high school I think they did not want epidemics!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The real issue is helping teen moms manage a sick baby and school so that she doesn't fall behind.At the county hospital we have girls that feel like dropping out because ear infections ,reactions to vaccinations etc cause them to miss school.Some of course just look for an excuse but others really want to stay in school.It benefits society as a whole to keep these girls getting their diplomas.More and better employment opportunities equal less govt. help needed.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM
The real issue is the pregnancy and teen sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN