Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Preperations being made for Adult Son

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK, he's coming home for the holidays, he's sleeping in his brother's room who will be in bed by 10.  I don't expect him to be in bed by 10, but we also don't want to be up late either and he's a night owl.  I like my quiet time before bed, about an hour so around 10pm I retire to the basement (where I live) and then go to bed. 

Should there be rules about bedtimes?  I wonder if I can trust him to be considerate to his brother and sisters and not be l loud on the phone (his girlfriend works 2nd shift) or have the tv up too loud.  Should I just let it go and see what happens or talk to him ahead of time?

I don't want to be overbearing and thrust a bunch of "commonsense" rules on him.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I think 10 is early. I would say you can have the couch and not be so loud. My kids had no bedtimes on break either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM

You've got to remember, my youngest is not yet a teenager.  Besides 10pm is late enough, hubby still has to work the next day.  As far as the adult son, I don't expect him to be in bed by 10, but expect him to be quiet enough not to keep them up.

Quoting atlmom2:

I think 10 is early. I would say you can have the couch and not be so loud. My kids had no bedtimes on break either.

jjchick75
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

We normally have the younger kids in bed by 9 but we will have my son, his wife, and their little girl here for Christmas and we won't be as strict with bed times. I honestly wouldn't make a big deal about it myself.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

How about, "Out of consideration for other family members, could you please make an extra effort to be quiet after (fill in time)?"

sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

did you have the younger kids before he moved out or did they come along after he was living on his own?

I dont think there would be a need to set rules unless he has been rude in the past, and still shows signs of disrespect.  I would hope that common sence would kick in by this stage in his life.

But you can always kiss him good night and simply say (very kindly) "dont for get your brother and dad need to get up early, please keep it quiet".

Quoting fantasticfour:

You've got to remember, my youngest is not yet a teenager.  Besides 10pm is late enough, hubby still has to work the next day.  As far as the adult son, I don't expect him to be in bed by 10, but expect him to be quiet enough not to keep them up.

I just think starting out the holiday season by setting down rules seems a bad way to start.

bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
If he's an adult he should be old enough to be understanding of his younger siblings and parents that have to get up early? I wouldn't set down any "rules" per say for an adult child, an explanation should be more than enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I agree with this. Not rules, per se, but a quick comment that notes your current household schedule.

Quoting wakymom:

How about, "Out of consideration for other family members, could you please make an extra effort to be quiet after (fill in time)?"

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Perfect.  This is a nice reminder, but not cast as a 'rule.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM

No rules, if it is loud or disturbing then you should say something.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Sounds good.

Quoting wakymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN