Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens
My daughter went to victoria secrets to spend her birthday money (she's 14) to buy cute panties today. After bragging about her very first vs purchase, a 'friend' ridicled us by saying she is too young to be in a store like that. I don't understand what is wrong with a teenager going into vs. She is old enough to need a bra! Quite frankly she bought very modest only pink merchandise, and it is so comfy she can't wait to buy more. What age do you let your daughter go to vs for their first cute delicates?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think the quality is even close to the same. I'm not one who considers myself a brand snob, however there are certain items, undergarments, being one of them where quality truly matters, esp since when wearing them they are the closest thing to your body and thus need to feel the most comfortable. There is no way my DD could find a bra at Marshals comparable to one at VS. I believe it's also wise to know where to save and where to it's not the best idea to cut corners.

Quoting TranquilMind:

It isn't a place that I'd take my 14 year old daughter.  The imagery in that store is demeaning, and I can't support that.  

Not to mention that we can buy 4 bras for the price of one at VS.  You have to know where to shop,and I like to get the most for my money.  I don't advocate wasting money for brand names when you can find the same or equivalent stuff clearance in department stores or stores like TJ Maxx or Marshall's. 

So we would have had a discussion long before now of these kinds of issues.  My daughter learned the hard way when she went shopping with friends at a trendy store and paid full price, when I showed her that you could buy the identical items clearance sale for a quarter of the price a few weeks later. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hum, I never allowed my olderst to buy things from there and I will not allow my 13 year old daughter to buy things from there sorry not a fan for young teens.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never really had a problem with VS. It's pretty underwear, and then some cute tops and sweats. A bit over priced, but if my kids want to use their babysitting and clothing allowance money there, that's their choice. VS to me is about women celebrating being pretty (and sexy) but not in a trashy way. It's not Fredrick's of Hollywood. It's not about cheap seduction for a guy. VS has always been more about women and teens enjoying being female and pretty. VS is about us. If my teen is fairly modest dressing, respects herself, her mind, her capabilities and is headed for college and a professional life, I don't think buying some pretty underwear at VS is going to turn her into a tramp! LOL. It's pretty underwear, in a store for women who like pretty underwear.

6StarsOnly
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM

She is at an age where she needs to feel good about herself. I am sure buying the underwear raised her self worth and self esteem because she bought them for herself to wear and enjoy. These little pleasures make us feel good about ourselves and we all should be in the practice of buying cute undies just for us. By the way VS is no big deal for a 14 year old. Just my opinion. I think you did right!

suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM

maybe they just cant afford the store and is envouis

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

There is a difference between going to victoria secrets to get sexy/trashy undies and getting something cute.  Because I was so top heavy as a teenager we HAD to go there to get my bras and I disliked it because we had little money and most of my back to school clothes shopping money went to bras.  You didn't do anything wrong.  I mean if she was buying thongs or something like that... but she wasn't.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

So buying thongs is a sign your child is headed to something bad, presumably promiscuity?

Haven't we kicked to death the premise that there is a causal link between thong underwear and promiscuity?

Is sexy synonymous with trashy?

Is pretty with perhaps some lace that no one sees but the wearer and perhaps close girlfriends synonymous with sexy?

Is pretty underwear with perhaps some lace inappropriate for a girl of 14?

If yes, then when can a girl buy pretty underwear?  

Is it only pretty underwear with perhaps some lace at VS that is problematic, and if one buys it at Target, all is good?

courtseanryan
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I think she was 13 or 14 and she liked the underwear and the sweats. Their stuff is made better than most of the stuff out there and I brought her there to shop her 1st time there.

gabyangy
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You just reminded me that I need to order my daughter something for Christmas from VS.  Thanks.  I think your daughter is fine.  And really who cares what other people have to say as long as you are okay with it.

Marathonmom3
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM
When was the last time you went to vs? Don't assume my daughter bought something with lace or a thong, which I would not have a problem with her wearing a thong. If you must know she bough cute cotton boy shorts. A lot of her teamates wear vs, and she has asked for a long time to get bra there cause they are comfy, she is finally big enough so she is allowed to shop there. Middle school is hard, sometimes a little something is all they need to feel special. It DOES NOT mean she will have sex or do anything bad.

Quoting annie2244:

So buying thongs is a sign your child is headed to something bad, presumably promiscuity?

Haven't we kicked to death the premise that there is a causal link between thong underwear and promiscuity?

Is sexy synonymous with trashy?

Is pretty with perhaps some lace that no one sees but the wearer and perhaps close girlfriends synonymous with sexy?

Is pretty underwear with perhaps some lace inappropriate for a girl of 14?

If yes, then when can a girl buy pretty underwear?  

Is it only pretty underwear with perhaps some lace at VS that is problematic, and if one buys it at Target, all is good?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN