Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Equal presents or equal money?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

My daughter is 14.  This is the first year that Santa is SERIOUSLY reflecting behavior at christmas.  Whether she knows I'm santa or not, I don't know, but probably does.  Here's my problem.  She had a lot of behavioral issues over the summer and the very beginning of school, however her brother's shorter termed behavioral issues were FAR WORSE than hers, therefore I believe that she should get more.  Her little sister was not in trouble for any lenth of time so of course she gets the most.

Now, currently I have less presents for the 14 year old than her older brother BUT hers cost more.   My youngest believes santa makes all these presents so their cost is equal, however I've gotten some GREAT deals on the youngests because she's into clothes and hair accessories.  I've gotten far more and spent far less.

Should I equal up the present count to reflect the behavior or equal up the money amount?  At 14 do you think they understand that part?  She mentioned when I told t hem that Santas taking behavior very seriously this year, that she got 3 less presents than everyone else last year.  O.M.G. She remembered that? 

So stuck because I also have no idea what to get her.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Idk, not sure on advice with this one as I've never wanted to use Santa Or Christmas as disciplinary thing or parenting tool, I prefer to just leave it as is. Here's a bump though, good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:27 AM
In our house the amount of presents is determined by cost and we spend the same amount for each kid. I've never cut the amount for either child due to behavior though. A 14 year old may not get the point of less being spent on her presents. What about not getting her the thing she wants most, that may make a better point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM

we used to make sure presents were in equal, now we really don't. WE just get what they want. 

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Equal money

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Quoting fammatthews4:

In our house the amount of presents is determined by cost and we spend the same amount for each kid. I've never cut the amount for either child due to behavior though. A 14 year old may not get the point of less being spent on her presents. What about not getting her the thing she wants most, that may make a better point.

Same here

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Santa comes to good boys and girls and both the oldest two have not been good throughout the year, and close to christmas.  They have plenty as it is.  "We" buy them 2 gifts and "Santa" gets them the rest.  I just don't feel like spending hard earned money on kids who have been hateful to me and hubby for a while.

mommybug77
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I buy the same amount of gifts for all 4 kids.
gonecrazi
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

At 14 she should be able to understand the concept of equal money. My 16 y/o ds is only getting 3 things but his costs more. We explain and he said he understood.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I do neither I ask them what they want and they both only said 1 thing I chose things to go with it and bought things as I found them since most of their taste is different I found more for one than the other.

They also buy for each other so when I found out the youngest bought something for the oldest that I had already bought I put the youngest name on that gift rather than taking it back because it was something they would both like.

Lorena
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM
in out house wr give equal amout of gifts. We don't do Santa so each child gets two gifts from us. They get a ton of gifts from other family members. I try to get one gift they really wanted and the other is ussally something fun although dd1 is getting two he really wants this yr.
Because wr don't do Santa behavior does not come into play.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)