Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

NEED HELP!!!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, I hope my title says it all!! LOL

I have 2 boys, they're both in middle school, ages 11 & 13.  I, myself, have been getting myself up since even before their age.  Here's the problem... 

I HAVE NOT/CANNOT!! Get them to get themselves up!!  I've set an alarm clock, had them set the alarms on their phones, & they pretty much sleep through them!  My oldest seems to budge a little & has been known to hear it, but then will get up and silence/turn it off!!  Ugh..aggravates me!  My DH & I are finding that we really NEED them to get up! ON THEIR OWN!!!  So has anybody had this problem, how did you get your teen/teens to start getting themselves up?!?!  I mean they can't be babied all their life, I can't always be there to wake them up!!  HELP PLEASE!!  SUGGESTIONS????

THANKS!!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Onlyus4
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

BUMP!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

When I encountered this problem, I made the bedtimes 30 minutes earlier.  And when they started getting up on their own I would stop there.  Teens need sleep, lots of it, which is why I don't let mine stay up until midnight. 

Onlyus4
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

My sons, it's so hard it seems, no matter what I do...So putting them to bed earlier made them hear the alarm?  Did yours sleep through the alarm clock?

Quoting fantasticfour:

When I encountered this problem, I made the bedtimes 30 minutes earlier.  And when they started getting up on their own I would stop there.  Teens need sleep, lots of it, which is why I don't let mine stay up until midnight. 

Zamaria
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM
I found that mine suddenly started hearing his alarm clock when I told him that if he wasn't up at a certain time he was grounded. It was like magic! Amazing what the threat of grounding does for their hearing. If they really are sleeping through it, get an old fashioned wind up alarm clock. Those things will wake the dead!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I had 2 that could sleep through a freight train crashing into the house. I bought the Big Ben alarm clock, you could hear it on the other end of the house. Nothing worked, I could wake them up so no big deal. However, when I woke them they knew to get up. I wasn't going to keep going back and forth. My other kids got up fine, never an issue.

I can say that my 2 are no adults, and for the most part get up to their alarms. For the most part, it's still not an exact science with them.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Mine sometimes have to wake me up.  Sorry, I'm no help...  Good luck!

MrsBLB
by Missi on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Welcome to the group!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Ice water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

mine have always had me or my husband to wake them up and my oldest son will usually get ready then go back to bed LOL but at least he gets ready 1st. 

When we started school it was up to us my mother never even got up before we left.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:11 AM
This and take away every privilege they have and make them earn back by waking up...no tv, cell, computer, electronics until they can wake up. Unless they have a medical problem they should be able to get up. My kids would be "unplugged " from any outside fun literally and doing extra chores until they resolve this, they are too old to behave like this, ridiculous they are behaving that way Mama, ice water dumped over the head and unplugged. Need a big reality check they do I'm sorry hope you can resolve soon

Quoting atlmom2:

Ice water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)