Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think This Teacher Got Off Too Lightly?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Teacher Who Had Sex With Student Gets Off With Probation

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Nadia DiazIs there anything more disturbing than a teacher having sex with a student? How about this? A former California high school teacher is walking off with just probation and 30 days in a work program after being convicted of having sex with a 14-year-old student.

So how'd Nadia Diaz get off so easy? Her teenage victim asked the court to go easy on her. Um, what???

I can't imagine if my teenager had been caught up in an affair with a teacher that I'd be gung-ho on letting her go into the court to stick up for the psycho who victimized her. In fact, I'd be doing everything in my power to keep the two apart for the rest of their natural-born lives.

But not this kid's parents, apparently. The boy, who was 14 two years ago when Diaz was 24 and working as a substitute at the school where the child was a sophomore, told a judge that he pursued her and convinced her to have sex with him. The plea apparently worked. Diaz doesn't even have to register as a sex offender.

I'm not naive here; I know kids have sex. I know sometimes that sex is with people who are much older than them.

But we aren't talking typical teen sex. We are talking about a woman in a position of authority taking advantage of a child. Whether the boy pursued her or not is irrelevant. It was Diaz' job to back up and say, "Sorry, Kiddo. NO!"

And now it's this boy's parents' jobs to step in and say, "Sorry, Kiddo. She was wrong, and you are wrong to defend her." It's their job to get their child help -- possibly counseling -- to understand the way appropriate sexual relationships work and why this was not in his best interest. 

The fact that this kid was allowed into court to take the blame for being victimized is a sign that he's being failed, once again, by adults in his life. Only these adults won't even be facing probation for it.

What do you think of this boy being allowed to shoulder the blame for this incident?

Would you let your child go defend the teacher who had sex with him?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Wow, she needs jail time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Never.. this is just sad. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I would NEVER allow that.  That woman is sick in the head screwing a 14 year old BOY.  This is no different than if it had been a male teacher who would have gotten the book thrown at him.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

That is SO wrong...

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM

awful

with the privileges of adulthood comes the responsibilities and that includes knowing not to have sex with a 14 y.o. when you are 24.No matter how seductive ...ugh...just ugh the 14 attempts to be.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

she is a sex offender and a pedophile. She should be in jail where all of them belong. Maybe if they gave stricter sentences this problem would slow down instead of being on the rise.

CTBmom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I agree!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

she is a sex offender and a pedophile. She should be in jail where all of them belong. Maybe if they gave stricter sentences this problem would slow down instead of being on the rise.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)