Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Your opinion on this (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM
  • 41 Replies
My 8th grade son missed 1 day of school. On that day they began watching a movie. There was a list of questions required to complete based on THAT day's viewing.

My son talked with the teacher asking how to make that up as he's never seen the movie. The teacher refused to let my son view the movie at school (lunch, study hall, after school, whatever) & told him he'll just have to youtube it at home.

What is your opinion on that?

I feel that he had no right to assume we even had decent enough internet to do that, (live in a tiny town with ONE internet option besides dial up...most have only dial up) plus since it was an in school thing, he should provide an opportunity for my son to make it up IN school. Plus, my son has a lot of homework that often takes all evening and we are a busy family. We rarely watch TV during the week yet now I'm supposed to find this movie & find time for him to sit & watch it??

Your thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3woods
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
The teacher should definately let him watch the movie at school, especially since you're not suggesting he take time away from anything else, I mean, how hard would it be for the teacher to set that up? Sounds like the teacher's just being difficult. Go higher, talk to the principal, if they can't do that, at least come up with an assignment that will give him an equivalent grade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM
He should allow him to view it after school or at lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I agree with this

Quoting atlmom2:

He should allow him to view it after school or at lunch.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Sorry but his teacher can either find the time to make it up in school or excuse the grade for the day.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I agree with the others and would be having a talk with the teacher. I hate how teachers assume every student has a computer at home. 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I agree the teacher is being unreasonable. I'd talk w/ her about it.

MrsJoe125
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I graduated in '96 (before the internet was being used in schools); I would equate this movie viewing in school now to reading a book back then.

If you agree with that analogy, here's my opinion:  If we read a book, the teacher passed out a paperback copy to each of the students (either for them to own or with the understanding that these books belong to the school and are to be returned).  If a student missed the first day, he or she would receive the book later and there would be an agreement between the teacher and the student and/or parent regarding grading.  If there were no more copies (for whatever reason) the student would have to find it at the library or some other source (with teachers suggesting free sources and parents obviously having the option to spend their money if they chose).

If you want to equate this movie viewing to watching the science documentaries narrated by Spock, I mean Leonard Nemoy (spell), or the social studies ones narrated by, James Early Jones (or Walter Crokite, if your school had really old reels)...  then the teachers I had would do their best to create an opportunity for the student to watch the video at the school, like during one of the times you mentioned.

If this movie is widely available and you could easily get it for free, I would say that it would be a hard case to make to the school that the teacher should allow your son to watch it at school.  If it is "obviously" hard for you to do and/or "infinitely" easier for it to be done through the school, I would say go to the principal (or whomever) and get it done through the school.  They should not balk at you about your son having a lot of homework and your family not having time for him to watch a feature-length movie at home.

the3Rs
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Good analogy.  I have no idea how widely available the movie is - it's "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson.  I just feel that if this is something everyone else watched in school, he should be allowed to watch it there and not put us out trying to find/buy/rent/borrow it to watch at home.  I am going to suggest today that he loan us the DVD they used with the understanding that if it isn't returned or is damaged we'll pay for it (just like books).  But, he probably won't have a chance to watch until this weekend.  :(

Quoting MrsJoe125:

I graduated in '96 (before the internet was being used in schools); I would equate this movie viewing in school now to reading a book back then.

If you agree with that analogy, here's my opinion:  If we read a book, the teacher passed out a paperback copy to each of the students (either for them to own or with the understanding that these books belong to the school and are to be returned).  If a student missed the first day, he or she would receive the book later and there would be an agreement between the teacher and the student and/or parent regarding grading.  If there were no more copies (for whatever reason) the student would have to find it at the library or some other source (with teachers suggesting free sources and parents obviously having the option to spend their money if they chose).

If you want to equate this movie viewing to watching the science documentaries narrated by Spock, I mean Leonard Nemoy (spell), or the social studies ones narrated by, James Early Jones (or Walter Crokite, if your school had really old reels)...  then the teachers I had would do their best to create an opportunity for the student to watch the video at the school, like during one of the times you mentioned.

If this movie is widely available and you could easily get it for free, I would say that it would be a hard case to make to the school that the teacher should allow your son to watch it at school.  If it is "obviously" hard for you to do and/or "infinitely" easier for it to be done through the school, I would say go to the principal (or whomever) and get it done through the school.  They should not balk at you about your son having a lot of homework and your family not having time for him to watch a feature-length movie at home.

MrsBLB
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

He should be able to do it at school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I would sent an email to the teacher today and if no response call Friday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN