Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Any moms with teens that have been diagnosed with mental illness?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

Both of my teens have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, depression and my son is bipolar, and this has all been diagnosed this year. Before that we had troubles with our son that had only been increasing since he was 13. He'd sneak out at 3 in the morning, took off in cars with God knows who to get drugs, and then started to make them himself.....My daughter has had depression for quite awhile, but diagnosing a child with mental illness is dificult. Both of my children have been in the hospital under psychiatric care for attempted suicide in the last 3 months, and are both medicated and in therapy, but somedays it's all my husband and I can do to hold it together. DH was himself diagnosed with adolescent depression, and often feels like he gave them "defective genes".  Just wondering if anybody can relate to a certain extent.

butterflyBlissful Breeze

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I have a 13 yr old son with ADHD. I was a teen with a mental illness. When I was 16 I was diagnosed with major depression and anxiety. 24 yrs later, Im still being treated for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
My 13 yr has Adhd and depression and is CD but they think the CD was caused by trama. I think he also has a impulsive disorder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

My daughter has been diagnoses with ADHD and my younger son with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Welcome to the group and big (((hugs))).

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My son has ADHD and bouts of depression.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

No.Before I decided to be a SAHM I was the director of a step house for young adults that had been in long term residential psychiatric facilities.At the time parental support groups were new.These were not therapy groups but a moderated group for parents to have a safe place to cry ,vent ,scream ,rejoice ,celebrate and learn.The parents that came with any regularity seemed to do better themselves.

Now you should be able to go online for your children's specific illnesses and find groups.Try MHMRA also NAMI .There are several that meet at my church.They are not affiliated with the church just a good place to meet at the right price ; ) Most of these groups are free or have a token fee.

Remind your husband there are plenty of people that have a mental illness with NO familial history.Luck of the dice.

Hugs to all of yall.

gonecrazi
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

All three of my boys have something. The two older ones have depression and my 10 y/o has adhd. They are all on meds and therapy. I understand how your dh feels about giving them defective genes. I feel that way alot, I have bipolarII disorder. 

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, but every teen has anxieties I believe they need to learn how to deal with them, no meds here the world is loaded with pharmaceutical junkies.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

yes, my 14yo daughter for attempted suicide/cutting.  She has depression and is on meds.  My 10yo son has adhd/odd/severe anxiety & i feel his "mental" illness will actually only get worse as puberty hits.  He does have depression too at this young of an age and is on meds also.  

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Ds1 has adhd. I suffer from mild depression, and, looking back, I can see I did as a teen, so I keep an eye out on all 3 kids for that potential.

blissfulbreeze
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Thank you for that information, I'm going to look into that.

Quoting drfink:

No.Before I decided to be a SAHM I was the director of a step house for young adults that had been in long term residential psychiatric facilities.At the time parental support groups were new.These were not therapy groups but a moderated group for parents to have a safe place to cry ,vent ,scream ,rejoice ,celebrate and learn.The parents that came with any regularity seemed to do better themselves.

Now you should be able to go online for your children's specific illnesses and find groups.Try MHMRA also NAMI .There are several that meet at my church.They are not affiliated with the church just a good place to meet at the right price ; ) Most of these groups are free or have a token fee.

Remind your husband there are plenty of people that have a mental illness with NO familial history.Luck of the dice.

Hugs to all of yall.

butterflyBlissful Breeze

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)