I have a situation that I don't know how to deal with...
My 16 yo son wasn't doing good in school last year. He failed two classes, and they would have to be repeated. He couldn't concentrate in the high school. In my state, they have an online virtual school that they receive a diploma in the same 4 years. I signed him up with this. It didn't work out. My son is a hands on kind of kid and loves to work with his hands. He came to me and asked if he could get his GED. After considering it for awhile, I agreed to let him take the GED classes to take his GED test. He started the classes a month ago and scored off the charts in his pretests. So he is now done with classes and will be taking the GED test in January. He turns 17 in January as well.
He is a great kid. He doesn't drink, smoke or drugs. He works two jobs, does his chores and does everything asked of him. The only thing he has done has gotten two speeding tickets which he paid for himself and has learned his lesson.
Here is my situation. My late husband(his father) was killed in 2008 and my son has struggled with this for 4 years now. He has wanted to go to this vocational school (where his father went to school) seven hours away for as long as I remember. I have talked to the school and they accept GED's and we have received all the information and they said he could start in Spring of 2013. We are going to visit the school in February to make sure he still wants to go there. My problem is everybody I know is asking if I'm ready for him to leave that far away and at his age. My son would have been a senior next year and would turn 18 during this time. I told them that if I make him wait for a year, I think that my son will decide not to attend school. I don't want my kid to have to work dead end jobs for the rest of his life and think that is the best thing for him. We have looked at other vocational schools around our area, but don't offer the program that my son wants to do. I don't want him to be so far away, but I want my son to succeed in life and if this is what I have to let him do then that's what I need to do.
His brother is a year behind him and has already decided to join the military when he graduates. This is something he has wanted to do since he was in the 7th grade. I have tried changing his mind, but its hasn't worked. His cousin is currently serving in the military and he has tried telling him to go a different route, but he still stands his ground. He is currently in the MCROTC program at the school and this has helped his grades and dealing with his emotions of losing his dad. I have accepted the fact that this is my youngest future.
I'm tired of everyone asking questions. I have raised my two boys to be independent and able to make decisions. I believe that my oldest can handle going to school now. Like I told my sister, if he gets there and can't handle being so far away from family and friends, he can come back home. She said well then he will have loans to pay back. I said that will be a bridge we will have to cross if it comes to it.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?