Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jobs

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
  • 13 Replies
My oldest will be 14 on Dec. 15th, which means that he can legally get a job in our state. Now I think it's great for kids to work part time. They learn responsibility and time management. I worked two jobs all through high school. But my son is still in middle school. Do you think I should make him wait until he's in high school or until summer break to get a job? He's getting pretty good grades right now, but he's not very responsible as far as time management, etc. I'm just not sure about a job. On one hand, he needs to learn responsibility and good work ethics. On the other hand, I don't want him to be overwhelmed with school and a job. Thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Wait until high school, let him be a kid a little while longer. 

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

We all worked when we were youger, but times are different now then the were 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. Back then there was enough jobs for everyone today there are to many people out of work and I think 14 is to young to go out and work let the of aged work.  My 18 year old looks for work everyday and there are still no jobs out there "well here in Michigan" Mcdonolds isn't even hiring around here.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting gonecrazi:

Wait until high school, let him be a kid a little while longer. 

I agree with you!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Mine did not get jobs in hs. School was their job. Also sports clubs and volunteering. My 21 yo is super responsible. She got a job after hs. She is early every day to work, never calls in and a great employee. I had a high work ethic and never worked in hs either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I'd have him wait.  Plenty of time to work, let him enjoy being a kid.  If he wants a summer part time job, that's fine, but make him save some money, open an account for him.  Our rule is under our roof, 1/2 of your check goes into the no touch account.  This way they have a nice savings by move out day.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I'd wait, at least until summer. If he really wants a job, maybe he could work at a local summer camp/day camp? Or he could babysit- that way he can kind of pick and choose when he works.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I'd wait until summer and/or high school.

My son is in sports during the school year 5 days a week, and so I do get what you're talking about. It has taught him to manage his time better.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I agree, mine didn't have jobs in HS either ( except for the occasional tutoring job and summer tutoring job). My DS is now away at college at works very part time on the campus tutoring center. As a college freshman last year he worked part time in bookstore.
My dd is a HS freshman..school, sports and ASB are her job right now. She does babysit occasionally on weekends and more in the summer if doesn't interfere with school or sports. You are only a child once, if he doesn't need to no.

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine did not get jobs in hs. School was their job. Also sports clubs and volunteering. My 21 yo is super responsible. She got a job after hs. She is early every day to work, never calls in and a great employee. I had a high work ethic and never worked in hs either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

If you think he could handle a weekend job, let him try.  Let us know what you decide.   :)

bluelola
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

14 is pretty young.... Our son just got his first job 2 months ago which was 2 months before his 16th birthday.  He works p/t in a grocery store and he gets really good grades, but school comes first.  Some weeks he works 4 evenings a week which I think is too much, but it is the holiday season so hopefully he won't be working as much after December.  He likes having a p/t job and he has saved up almost $1000 already to buy a new laptop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)