Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Funny thing DH said about DD's BF...

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

The other day, out of nowhere, my DH just blurted out that he did not want to get too "attached" or "friendly" with our DD's new BF (together over 2 months) because if it does not work out he did not want to invest in really liking the boy. DH is more of the "old school" parent where he can be really unreasonably strict to a point. He was actually not liking the fact that she had a BF until I sat him down and said at least she told us, would you rather not know who she is with? Anyway the boy has proven to be a pretty good kid in general. Polite. And Nice. Does very very well in academics and sports and family although we have not met formally sounds like good people. 

We know this relationship could go either way.. either not work out after HS or actually work out long term. I suppose no one can tell at this point in time. 

But I thought it was really funny that he said that because I guess I never thought of it that way... which now makes me a bit sad. DH said that this boy set the bar a little high for our expectations of the kind of boy our DD would go out with... now anyone else will  be compared to this one. I said, OMG quit thinking that way , they barely got together you know! LOL!

Wondering if anyone out there are close with the children's BF/GF...

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gonecrazi
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I am close with my dil 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I have told my kids over and over again........just because you broke up, doesn't mean that I will break up with them lol

There have been 1 or 2 that I am still friends with. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

awe too cute.  just as our kids are learning to date, we are learning to deal with it.  it has only been 2 months and she is just a teenager with her whole life in front of her.  I can see your hubs point of view... but it is just a boyfriend of a teenage girl.... he can like him and not "invest" himself in the boy.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I thought the same thing when my DS started dating his first serious gf at age 17, they are still together 3 years later.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Your Dh sounds sweet.     I haven't been really close to any of my sons' girlfriends.   I have yet to have the feeling "this may be the one".   

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Means he is already attached and is trying to talk himself out of it! Lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
courtseanryan
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM
My dd had a bf who was nice but had a bad home life. I had him with me at all the holidays. When they broke up he stopped talking to all of us I don't hold it against him. I am always nice to her bfs but I don't see them as future son in laws yet. She had one that called me when they were fighting for advise. I said she doesn't like clingy or guys that call her mom if they are arguing lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Not at all, but then again none have gotten serious about them.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I got close to my older daughters boyfriend.  they got together her senior year of high school, he didn't have much of a home life so he was here a LOT.  They went through a 3 year long distance relationship while she attended college across the country.  Lived together for a year after that.  Broke up last summer, and honestly, I WAS sad.  I've told him he can still count on me, we've sent each other Happy Birthday's, but honestly I miss having him here at the holidays.

kaitybird
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Our daughter has had a few boyfriends and for the most part couldn't stand any of them but because she liked them at the time we made the effort to make them feel welcome in our presence!  Our daughter has now had a serious boyfriend for the last 6 months and we really like this one.  So regardless if it works out or not we still will like him.  It doesn't mean we are going to invite him over if they ever break up but for the time that they are together we make him feel welcome!  They are both 15 and they both think this is for the long haul and I hope for them it works out!  :)  

This is by far the best guy she has ever liked! He reminds me of dh when he and I were just starting out!  He is a great kid with only eyes for our daughter!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)