Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Opinions??????

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
On another CM board someone asked if a Kindle Fire was good for a 6 and 7 yo? Most said wait but some said their 3 yo had one? I think kids are too wired in. Have no imagination now due to electronics. It hurts the brain too. I didn't buy my girls a game system till they were in. HS. What do you think? How young is too young for electronics?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I agree to an extent, but they also have useful purposes.

My 8 and 11 year old are getting tablets. Not Kindles or Nooks, but lesser name brands that will do the same thing. They will be used for school, reading and fun. My younger 2 (6 and 3) will be getting Innotab tablets, theirs is more educational. Technology is great and has it's purpose, but as with anything it is about moderation.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I prefer a more organic form of play at that age.

Ive been a sahm since my oldest was born and prior to school we went to a park, museum, library, zoo, etc almost every day mon-fri.  We built forts in the house, made "creations" out of recycling items.  We cooked, etc.  I put a higher value on outdoor play, exercise, and creativity than anything electronic.  

Happy to say that all these years later all 3 of my kids are VERY creative writers........ as well as physically fit.  None are obsessed with games, gaming, or any sort of tv show.  None of us have a show we follow regularly.... though we dvr some shows.  

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

NO electronics are good for kids that little.  Kids should be reading books and actively playing, not sitting on their butts with their faces glued to a screen. 

The later they are delayed, the better.  And yes, they will definitely pick up what they need to know by the time they need it for school research.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

In moderation, I think it's fine at a young age. Activty and imagination a good, but there are some good things that you can learn from electronics. My son wasn't terribly interested in electronics anyhow until about 10.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

A kindle fire?  Wow they must have money for that young because I can't even afford it for me.  I would buy a cheapo one, you can get them for 50 bucks at walmart and they have the games on it too.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm.   I would not have purchased one for my kids at that age.  I do think children today are being raised in too virtual a world.   They are viewing life through a computer/phone/tablet screen.   I find it a bit scary.    Children should be playing with lego's and riding bikes.   They should be outside playing with other children, using their imaginations, not cooped up in a corner with a computer device.

We have 3 grandchildren, ages 8, 6 and 4.    We refuse to buy the techy gifts.  Nope.   We just made our Granddaughter an awesome Dollhouse and purchased bikes for her brothers.   I guess we are old fashioned?

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Quoting TranquilMind: NO electronics are good for kids that little.  Kids should be reading books and actively playing, not sitting on their butts with their faces glued to a screen. 

The later they are delayed, the better.  And yes, they will definitely pick up what they need to know by the time they need it for school research.

I agree 100%.  Honestly, any kid under 16 does NOT need their OWN devices,  especially ones with data plans.  They should have access to only 1 internet capable device, it should be in a central part of the house where it can be easily supervised by parents, it should ONLY be used for homework, and it should be password protected, with parental controls.

And the trend to buy devices for Pre-K kids is ludicrous.  I was talking to a woman who said her 1 year old grandchild was enthralled by the 'See & Say' APP on the parents phone.  Pardon me, but rather than give an expensive smartphone to a kid who will try to eat it, wash it in the dogs' water bowl, or throw it across the room for giggles, why not give them a REAL "See & Say" (which we just purchased for $12 for *our* 1yo grandchild), that they can beat on to their heart's content, and it will still work years from now?

bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Barabell:

In moderation, I think it's fine at a young age. Activty and imagination a good, but there are some good things that you can learn from electronics. My son wasn't terribly interested in electronics anyhow until about 10.

I agree with in moderation....our 2.5 year old loves some of the stories and learning games on my Kindle Fire, so heck why not let him play? He still plays with his regular books, balls,  Play Dough, ect. I also think it's ridiculous when people go the opposite direction and say NO computer games, ect and talk down about parents who buy their kids a cell phone when they are 10 or 11...it's all about balance, tech is a wonderful thing and here to stay, why fight it?

DarlaHood
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM

My Granddaughter is 7, and while we were camping for the week, she read 7 different books on my Kindle.  She also played word games on my Ipad at night before going to sleep.  I don't think it adversely affects her imagination just to have one.  I think it depends on what they use it for and if they are also doing other things. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I can't stand it. Too many kids way to young spend a lot of time on ipads, video games.etc. I nanny for a family with a 2.5 yr old. I took him to the library he walked right over turned on the ipad and found his games. I was stunned !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN