Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

16 is too young right.????

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 37 Replies

Hi ladies,

I am not in this group because my kids are still youngens' but we are a host family to a 16 year old girl from Germany who is here learning english and going to high school for 6 months.

She is your normal surly, miserable, lazy teen;)lol  But my question is.......she has a male friend that she met through the program on the plane over here.  They have been in contact a few times and she has met him 2 times now to go shopping here in the city.  He lives just over an hour away in a ski resort town.  When she came back from an afternoon with him on Saturday she informed us she would like to spend the weekend at his place(with his host family) in the resort town.  To go snowboarding she says.

Now I am completely against this.  I think she is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young to even consider this and I have said no but sent an email to her mother after she went ballistic because I said it was inappropriate.  Am I completely out of line here?  I would never let my daughter do something like this. She tells me her mother will let her but I am still waiting to hear back from her.

Thanks for your input ladies:)

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RyansMom001
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

What an awful spot she has put you in.  Doesn't the program have rules of conduct for the kids to follow.  If she continues to be a pain in the butt call who ever is in charge of the kids and let them know.  I would not allow her to go.  If I was entrusting my 16 child to strangers I would want them to look out for her.

undrcvrmom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes we are absolutely treating her like a part of the family which is why I said no.  I wouldn't let my own do it.  

They do have rules but this isn't touched upon in them.  She leaves the end of January and has been pretty good until the last couple of weeks.  Well actually since she turned 16 2 weeks ago she has been a little crazy to say the least!

Zamaria
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I know that a lot of families in Germany are more open about that type of thing, but while in your home she should respect and abide by your rules. I wouldn't allow a 16 year old that I was responsible for to do that. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Smart to email her mom about it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have contacted the boys host family. Make sure you are both on the same page if you are then let her go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It would depend on her parents say, and what their thought process is on it. While I agree that I wouldn't let my child do it, it doesn't mean they won't.

The thing is, you are her host family, and yes she does need to live by your rules, but at the same time she does have parents. This is a big enough issue that I would leave it up to them.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Her parents need to ok that. Her real parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
undrcvrmom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Thanks for the input ladies.  I appreciate it:)

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I would wait until I hear from her mother, but based on the info you provided, I'm leaning towards saying no.

rosepirate
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I dont know what the legal for sex is in Germany. But in Sweden where I grow upp it is 15. So find out what the legal age in Germany first and take it from there..

I looked it up. In Germany it is 14 years old.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I would go with what her parents say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN