Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Administrators

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter is in high school and went on a field trip to the Farmers Market. One of the chaperone took at least half of the kids away from the building to Hooters and the rest mostly wandered aimlessly around the Market for hours.

I was so mad I contacted the principal. She spoke with the teacher, my daughter, and several of the kids who went and called me. She basically said the field trip was organized and all the kids were supposed to stay in groups and do assignments, maybe my child got distracted etc etc. I told her I was mostly mad about a parent taking the kids away from the field trip (not to mention to Hooters!) and she said "well that's another matter".

I got the impression that she was most mad about finding out about that.

Anyway my dd got home and was horrified because they called the teacher to the office, then 5 kids that sit at her table who went, then after they came back they called my dd to the office!!! Why would they single one out, they should have called each kid 1 at a time. Now I am sure the kids think my dd is a tattletale.

She says she doesnt care, she is not worried they will be mean or anything - but I kinda am.

Do you think the school handled this whole situation poorly? What would you do? I am thinking just to stay out of it and not get so involved anymore.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Absolutely I think they handled it poorly.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I agree it was not handled appropriately.

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My daughter is a HS teacher.  For the school to approve a field trip, it MUST have educational value, and a connection to a lesson plan in the class that is sponsoring the trip.  All that must be spelled out in a proposal to the principal/administration, before the trip is approved.  The MINIMUM number of chaperones for grades 6-12 is 1 per 10 students, which is pretty standard across the nation.  Chaperones are instructed by the teacher in what the educational requirments of the trip are, and in how to help the kids achieve those goals, but the teacher is supposed to lead the lesson, & make sure all the kids are participating in the lesson. 

SO this whole thing stank from the get-go.  What is the educational value of a trip to a Farmer's Market?  How could a chaperon take ANY of the students away from the rest of the group without the teacher saying something?  Where were the REST of the chaperons?  What was the TEACHER doing while the kids were wandering aimlessly for hours?  Why didn't the administration know UP FRONT what the purpose of the field trip was, how many chaperons were supposed to be there, and what the lunch arrangements were?

As for talking to the kids one at a time vs all together, it's not like they were investigating cheating, or investigating a crime where they needed to see if stories matched.  They should have interviewed ALL the kids who went on the trip, and then talked to the teacher.  Were this *MY* child, I would NOT be concerned that she was viewed as a tattletale.  MY concern would be that future field trips be properly supervised so no kid gets lost, robbed or worse, and that the trip be worth educational value so my kid hasn't lost a day of school for nothing.  I wouldn't care WHO was upset, who thought who tattled, and I certainly would STAY INVOLVED, to make sure my kid was getting a decent education, and not a vacation!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I agree it was not handled appropriately.

Yep, I agree as well

DarlaHood
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I think it's unanimous. Definitely poorly handled. I have chaperoned many trips for my girls, and there were times that the drivers were given discretion about where to take their car load of kids for lunch, but I would think parents would have the common sense to avoid Hooters. 

DarlaHood
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I think you make good points, but I do have to say at the high school age, we took trips where the kids were able to move about in groups and meet back at a certain place.  For instance, we went to the Reagan Library and the Museum of Tolerance, and smaller groups were permitted to move through the exhibits and meet at an appointed time at the exit.  The kids knew the objectives and what they were supposed to do.  The kids that rode in my car generally stayed with me, but there were also kids who broke off without chaperones, and were expected to act properly.  They were 16 and 17 yr. olds., and they were all very polite and well behaved.  When we left the museums, we were allowed to take the kids to lunch at a place of our choice - and usually there were some ideas and options provided.  It shouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't in our case.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

My daughter is a HS teacher.  For the school to approve a field trip, it MUST have educational value, and a connection to a lesson plan in the class that is sponsoring the trip.  All that must be spelled out in a proposal to the principal/administration, before the trip is approved.  The MINIMUM number of chaperones for grades 6-12 is 1 per 10 students, which is pretty standard across the nation.  Chaperones are instructed by the teacher in what the educational requirments of the trip are, and in how to help the kids achieve those goals, but the teacher is supposed to lead the lesson, & make sure all the kids are participating in the lesson. 

SO this whole thing stank from the get-go.  What is the educational value of a trip to a Farmer's Market?  How could a chaperon take ANY of the students away from the rest of the group without the teacher saying something?  Where were the REST of the chaperons?  What was the TEACHER doing while the kids were wandering aimlessly for hours?  Why didn't the administration know UP FRONT what the purpose of the field trip was, how many chaperons were supposed to be there, and what the lunch arrangements were?

As for talking to the kids one at a time vs all together, it's not like they were investigating cheating, or investigating a crime where they needed to see if stories matched.  They should have interviewed ALL the kids who went on the trip, and then talked to the teacher.  Were this *MY* child, I would NOT be concerned that she was viewed as a tattletale.  MY concern would be that future field trips be properly supervised so no kid gets lost, robbed or worse, and that the trip be worth educational value so my kid hasn't lost a day of school for nothing.  I wouldn't care WHO was upset, who thought who tattled, and I certainly would STAY INVOLVED, to make sure my kid was getting a decent education, and not a vacation!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:23 AM

It was handled poorly.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM

I would not have called the school to complain that a parent who took kids ,that did not include my own , to a restaurant after finishing the assignment.  While I don't think the school handled the situation well, it was typical.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Yes, hs kids are not with chaparones every minute. Heck, in middle school they go to Six Flags and go on their on in the park all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Was your child in the group that was taken away from the rest of the group?  What class was this for?  What was the purpose of the trip?  Based on what you wrote I can't really form and opinion as to whether it was handled poorly or not.  The way they questioned the students maybe could have been handled better, but without knowing their reasoning, I really don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)