Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

she can be so irresponsible sometimes

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 14 year old dd has been staying very late @ school for rehearsals.  The show opens tomorrow and they were at school last  night till just after 8pm.  I suspected ahead of time it would be that late so because her bus pass expires at 8:30 I told her to make sure she had Money on her to be able to come home.  She tells me okay.  Then at around 8:10 she calls me and tells me she's getting ready to leave school  but doesn't have any money on her.  She has to wait for the bus and has to be on that bus before 8:30.  She almost didn't make it.  as long as she's on the bus by 8:30 she'll have a  transfer on her card for the subway that lasts 2 hours so she just had to be on the bus.  she gets to the bus stop and she has to wait for the bus. thankfully the bus pulled up at around 8:20 so she got lucky.  Had it been after 8:30 she would of had to wait for me (if the driver didn't let her go) until i got there which would take at least 45 minutes. 

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a typical teenager, not thinking ahead, even after you reminded her.  I'm glad that she made it on time and didn't have to wait for you to pick her up

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Glad it worked out for her.

I know I still have times when I forget things I've been reminded about.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Quoting wakymom:

It wasnt so much that she forgot it was that she spent it.   I give her $5 daily because she usually doesnt eat lunch in school.  she buys it outside of school and eats during class.  She can on days that she wants (excpet thursday) use her free period to go eat lunch.  which there is money in her lunch account for days like that. or she can get the free lunch.   She also has her own money that she didnt take with her.  So when she got to the store she spent all $5 on a lunch knowing she was leaving her self broke.

This morning i gave her extra with her daily money just incase and i watched her put it away.  she better not spend it.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting wakymom:

It wasnt so much that she forgot it was that she spent it.   I give her $5 daily because she usually doesnt eat lunch in school.  she buys it outside of school and eats during class.  She can on days that she wants (excpet thursday) use her free period to go eat lunch.  which there is money in her lunch account for days like that. or she can get the free lunch.   She also has her own money that she didnt take with her.  So when she got to the store she spent all $5 on a lunch knowing she was leaving her self broke.

This morning i gave her extra with her daily money just incase and i watched her put it away.  she better not spend it.

Ah. Well, that's totally different. Hope she's smarter w/ it today.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I can't imagine a 14 yr old riding a bus, then a subway at night by herself!   I would be terrified.    I've never been to New York or on a subway.....

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

That was my first thought also...but then again it's not something we have around here.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I can't imagine a 14 yr old riding a bus, then a subway at night by herself!   I would be terrified.    I've never been to New York or on a subway.....

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

That was my first thought also...but then again it's not something we have around here.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Exactly!    Where I grew up, we had BART, which is similar to a subway.....but I lived in the suburbs and was never allowed to go to the city alone.

gonecrazi
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Sounds like ds never thinking ahead.. 

Msgme
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I can't  lie and say I feel 100% safe but the nyc public transport for school kids starting in 6th grade is the norm.  NO school busses past 5th grade.  The bus doesnt worry me so much because she's not alone and she just has to walk up the stairs once she gets to the subway stataion.   She waits where the guy behind the window is until her train comes.  i get a text to know she's on the train and then i meet her when she gets off.    I will feel a world better once this play is over and she'll be coming home during the day light again.

The subway system and her traveling is why we limited the schools s he was allowed to apply/audition  to.  None in a bad area or having to pass thru a bad area.  and Manhattan was out of the question.

Next year my youngest who will be 11 when she starts 6th grade will most likely having to travel via bus.  I've limited her choices drastically and only allowing schools that she can walk to or ride 1 bus.  Her top choice school  she'd have to take a subway and then a bus but into Coney Island into a really bad area.  and unless i can guarantee that i'll be able to take her and pick her up its not going to happen.   Its a talent based school and difficult to get into  so the chances of friends going there with her is slim. 

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting wakymom:

I was in a similar situation with my fourteen-year-old last week when it came to bus fare. After getting $30, I told her to set aside $5 for a day pass for Friday (her pass was going to run out that day). Why was $30 gone by Wednesday after I gave her the money on Saturday? She did not have to buy anything on Saturday and Sunday, yet when Monday came......................................................................................................................................................................................

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN