Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - Sizing

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

A friend of mine has fallen on hard times.  I know that this Christmas is going to be slim if any presents under the tree at all.  I had purchased on a late night informercial a knife set.  It came with a hunting kit that we would never use.  Her husband hunts, I offered it to her.  She almost cried because I was being generous.  She is a proud woman and wouldn't take charity because she knows we are not wealthy either, but are doing better than her.

Her kids need new clothing.  Her teenage son (he's the sweetest) has lost weight since the summer months and actually dropped alot, so all of his pants are super lose and too long for him.  Her daughter, well her daughter needs clothing too and she's 19 but has the mental capability of a 10 year old and will forever be dependent on them.  Her husband works hard at a low paying dead end job because that's all there is right now.

How do I find out the clothing sizes without her finding out what I'm doing?  "Santa" will be dropping it off at her house.  We know a guy who has the complete get up and doesn't know her at all.  I don't want her to know it came from us.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:33 AM

I would Guess, it's not really hard to come close and include the receipt.

Zamaria
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM
I would guess and include gift receipts. Or you could do some gift cards and non-clothing gifts. That way they can buy whatever they want with the gift cards. It's very kind of you to do that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Thanks guys, I lied to her today and told her that a friend of mine was cleaning house and had some clothes her teens had left when they moved out, what size do your kids wear?  So she told me and I "called my friend" and oops they don't have those sizes.  So now I know!!!  Also, what do you think a beautiful Dove soap and body wash set sounds like?  Take the night off and pamper yourself or ick you stink take a bath?  I love the set and would love to get it for myself, but I don't want her to think I think she stinks.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Good job playing detective, and getting the sizes!
The Dove set sounds good, I don't think she will be offended.
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Thanks!  My mom said it put the wrong message, probably because it was from a brand named soap brand.  She thought the baskets of crap ones would be better.  Same price too, crappy product.  Besides I am just curious as can be about that bar of soap.  It's shaped like a massager, with those big balls on it.  I simply want to try one but I can't find it outside of the gift set!

Quoting diaperstodating:

Good job playing detective, and getting the sizes!
The Dove set sounds good, I don't think she will be offended.

bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM
I agree good detective work but I know my kids at that age would appreciate the crappy soap basket gift set more or nail polish, ect

Quoting fantasticfour:

Thanks guys, I lied to her today and told her that a friend of mine was cleaning house and had some clothes her teens had left when they moved out, what size do your kids wear?  So she told me and I "called my friend" and oops they don't have those sizes.  So now I know!!!  Also, what do you think a beautiful Dove soap and body wash set sounds like?  Take the night off and pamper yourself or ick you stink take a bath?  I love the set and would love to get it for myself, but I don't want her to think I think she stinks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eshadowgirl
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

That is super awesome of you to do :)
I'm "secret santa" shopping for some Seniors this year...thru a local home care company that is going to deliver the gifts.

the Dove Gift sets are awesome. Garnier makes shampoo/conditioner gift sets too if ya wanted to add that, or just get some Suave professionals shampoo & conditioner(1.94 at walmart).

I make all my own bath gift sets, because I dont like the cheap looking generics..Might cost a couple $$ more, but has good products :)

Mine are usually in a reusable storage container(Rubber maid makes large ones for food and stuff)

I include: Shampoo,Conditioner, Body wash,a body poof or nice wash cloth,scented candles, body lotion, body mist/spray,some chocolate, and a book, a brush and/or comb and hair clips or hair ties. 

If you have a local Dollar tree or dollar store, alot can be bought there. :)

Gift cards are always a nice thing....Since you know the kids' sizes, then maybe 1 outfit each and a gift card...

I always try to do something...even if its just $ in the Salvation army bucket. I try to give to the local toy drive.....this year its to the Seniors :)

Feels good to nice for others...It will always come back to you

Quoting fantasticfour:

A friend of mine has fallen on hard times.  I know that this Christmas is going to be slim if any presents under the tree at all.  I had purchased on a late night informercial a knife set.  It came with a hunting kit that we would never use.  Her husband hunts, I offered it to her.  She almost cried because I was being generous.  She is a proud woman and wouldn't take charity because she knows we are not wealthy either, but are doing better than her.

Her kids need new clothing.  Her teenage son (he's the sweetest) has lost weight since the summer months and actually dropped alot, so all of his pants are super lose and too long for him.  Her daughter, well her daughter needs clothing too and she's 19 but has the mental capability of a 10 year old and will forever be dependent on them.  Her husband works hard at a low paying dead end job because that's all there is right now.

How do I find out the clothing sizes without her finding out what I'm doing?  "Santa" will be dropping it off at her house.  We know a guy who has the complete get up and doesn't know her at all.  I don't want her to know it came from us.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM

This was for the mom :)

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I agree good detective work but I know my kids at that age would appreciate the crappy soap basket gift set more or nail polish, ect

Quoting fantasticfour:

bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Oh haha then go for it, I would love that and have always wanted to try it too.

Quoting fantasticfour:

This was for the mom :)

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM

It does feel good doesn't it?  I'm shopping for the teen girl tomorrow.  I contacted a local store and explained what I was doing and guess what!  They said they would give me a 50% discount on my purchases for it!  She said she was going to be there all week and to ask for her.  I had a few items for myself and my kids on there too and set them aside.  She started to ring them up and I said no, those are for my family and she said so what I can't help you now?  I was shocked!  I got such great deals to begin with and then that!  I'm going tomorrow for the teen girl and talked to her tonight and have her favorite color and everything.  She wants junk food for her school (lol like it would last until next month) and hair stuff.  She also wants hats and gloves.  I can't wait for my friend to call me on the phone and tell me all about how someone came in and gave her all these gifts!

Quoting Eshadowgirl:

That is super awesome of you to do :)
I'm "secret santa" shopping for some Seniors this year...thru a local home care company that is going to deliver the gifts.

the Dove Gift sets are awesome. Garnier makes shampoo/conditioner gift sets too if ya wanted to add that, or just get some Suave professionals shampoo & conditioner(1.94 at walmart).

I make all my own bath gift sets, because I dont like the cheap looking generics..Might cost a couple $$ more, but has good products :)

Mine are usually in a reusable storage container(Rubber maid makes large ones for food and stuff)

I include: Shampoo,Conditioner, Body wash,a body poof or nice wash cloth,scented candles, body lotion, body mist/spray,some chocolate, and a book, a brush and/or comb and hair clips or hair ties. 

If you have a local Dollar tree or dollar store, alot can be bought there. :)

Gift cards are always a nice thing....Since you know the kids' sizes, then maybe 1 outfit each and a gift card...

I always try to do something...even if its just $ in the Salvation army bucket. I try to give to the local toy drive.....this year its to the Seniors :)

Feels good to nice for others...It will always come back to you

Quoting fantasticfour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)