Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 16 yr old teen daughter accepted by modeling agency - familys reaction confusing!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

My 16 year old daughter  is very sweet, mature for her age, driven and an awesome student.  She is very into fashion and a totally girly-girl.    She has talked about trying to model for many years (as many girls her age do).  My husband and I avoided the topic for a long time because she was very young.  This year we decided to let her try it- thinking that she should at least try to do her passion and have no regrets.  We had her photos taken (she paid half ) and send them into several agencies in our city, explaining to her that it is a very tough business to get in to, along with reading and researching how it all works.  I actually didn't even know if they would call her- and explaining that it is a waiting game and that you have to be prepared for rejection.   We sent them in to 4 top agencies and within 24 hours she was invited to meet with the top one!  Three others called a day later to meet her as well.....!  within 2 days she was sent to an audition for a major sportswear brand and we now wait to see if she was chosen for this one!  It has been an exciting week and she is both nervous and happy to have a chance to do what she has wanted for so long.  We look at it like trying out for a sport, sometimes you get the job, sometimes you don't but you have to at least try and lose gracefully if you are not taken this time!  My problem is the way my family is reacting to her news!  My own mom is very hesitant and making me feel really bad about all of it!  Saying things like "hmmmm are you sure she can keep up with her school" and "I can't beleive you would spend your money on things like this!"  It hurts to have such negative imput for this.  If it were for a team sport  or band or Boy scouts (like the cousins do) my family is all over it and very supportive of the kids - I almost feel like we have to hide this from everyone!  My daughter doesn't know any of this and with the holidays coming up, it could be a little tough..... Why is modeling looked so down upon- its an interest like any other! 

by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

My best guess is your family is worried about your daughter.  Perhaps they don't want to see her get her hopes up.  Modeling is a tough business, as you said.  It can be very hard on someone and their self esteem....being told you are not pretty enough, tall enough, graceful enough.  Many models are asked to lose weight, model nude or in very skimpy outfits and often in very difficult positions with other people.   Your daughter is at an age where she is likely to be offered more 'adult modeling jobs', and that can be worrisome to some.    Maybe you can put their minds at ease by explaining where you and DD will draw the hard line.

There are many different kinds of modeling and many reputable agencies.  I'm not trying to discourage you, as many teens have great experiences modeling.   It is a dream to some.... having make up artists and hairstylists and wearing lots of awesome clothing!!     My sister tried it.....she hated it.   I have a good friend who modeled and loved it.   

Congratulations to your daughter and good luck.

Bertieb
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's very exciting and my daughter would love to try that too, but my family would react the same probably for the reasons already posted above. Congratulations!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are savvy about the process and keep close tabs in her this can be a great way to pay for college!!!

By brother had both his kids modeling as toddlers, they grew out of the look and stopped getting calls but the money was great and a super wAy to start the college fund.

One if my older daughters friends modled off and on from elementary school til high school and she too has a great college account too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danusink
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I agree, I do know that they are worried that she might be lead into a bad situation, but being 16, I am with her all of the time, she will not be allowed by her agency or by me, to go into anything that we think is not safe.  Most jobs around here are for Target, JCPennys, etc. 

I think the family is more upset because both of my girls are into fashion, dressing nicely, love makeup and all of those things.  My family is pretty conservative and because they don't know about such things, they are afraid It will embassass them in some way.  It is going to be tough to show excitement for my girls with my family around.  I hate to have to explain all of this to my daughter because she would feel horriable! But we will have to just keep all of this to ourselves unless someone asks.  It makes me sad

danusink
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Yes again, If she does get called and accepted to jobs, the money is good!  She is now looking into college and is considering either engineering or a medical field so will want a great school to get her education!  This costs a lot and if she could help with that it is only a big plus!!!!!

In resopnse to the mom who said her daughter would love this....Models come in all shapes and sizes!  Every ad you see involves someone and not every model has to be a runway type!  I say go for it if your daughter is really interested!  Research all of the agencies in the area, be smart about it, watch for scams because there are a lof of those, but if she candle handle rejection, is ready to work hard and wants to try, I say why not, at least your tried it and won't just WISH you had all your life.

tyfry7496
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
My niece is 15 and models for Dakota Modeling. She'll be in a book that comes out in January. It's in her contract that nothing inappropriate for a teenager will be allowed and a parent must be present at all times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

dont talk about it with the family its none of there business

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Well I do hope she keeps up with school, and the reason I think modeling is looked down upon is because the strict weight/height requirements.  You must have one tall daughter.   Most models are 5'10"or taller!  Good luck for her.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Quoting boys2men2soon:

My best guess is your family is worried about your daughter.  Perhaps they don't want to see her get her hopes up.  Modeling is a tough business, as you said.  It can be very hard on someone and their self esteem....being told you are not pretty enough, tall enough, graceful enough.  Many models are asked to lose weight, model nude or in very skimpy outfits and often in very difficult positions with other people.   Your daughter is at an age where she is likely to be offered more 'adult modeling jobs', and that can be worrisome to some.    Maybe you can put their minds at ease by explaining where you and DD will draw the hard line.

There are many different kinds of modeling and many reputable agencies.  I'm not trying to discourage you, as many teens have great experiences modeling.   It is a dream to some.... having make up artists and hairstylists and wearing lots of awesome clothing!!     My sister tried it.....she hated it.   I have a good friend who modeled and loved it.   

Congratulations to your daughter and good luck.

THIS!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

They may be having the same thought I did when I saw your title... are you sure everything is on the up and up? There are so many frauds out there. Sounds like you have found legitimate places, though.

Take it as concern for her welfare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN