Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New School Policy (piog)

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 14 Replies

Our superintendent sent out an email this morning outlining a new security procedure for all schools. It used to be, all outside doors were locked except for the one to the lobby/office. Starting today, that one will be locked, too, and a number to call to be let in will be posted on the front door.

Now, I have no problem w/ having to do that. My thing is, how much safer is that really going to make things? These are glass doors. I know the district needed to do something to reassure parents their kids are safe in our schools, but is locking a glass door really going to deter someone angry enough and determined enough to get in and hurt/kill people?

Idk, maybe I play devil's advocate too much. . .

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverLawst
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

No. It probably won't deter anyone with that on their minds. BUT, it will certainly slow them down and give people inside time to sound the alarm and get out of dodge. It's just another layer of security.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Most schools are locked. It won't do a thing to those that wanna bust or shoot their way in. Locks only keep out the good, not the bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1214Choc
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM
It's not going to deter anyone who has an agenda. I'm just surprised that the doors weren't already locked. At my kids' schools, the doors are locked and you can't get in without being let in. The only time that the doors aren locked is in the morning and during dismissal time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

What happens if there is a fire? 

I understand trying to add security, but doesn't that pose other risks also?

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM
They are set where you cannot get in but can get out.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

there is no way to make a school completely safe......the world is not completely safe!    The school is taking measures to give the illusion that it is safer.    At least the school cares enough to try.

Our High school spent a fortune putting a black wrought iron fence up around the school.....it looks pretty, and it does make it more inconvenient to get to the classrooms from other entrances....but if a Bad Guy (or a student) wanted to, he could jump it in a heartbeat.

Alysse24
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM

The elementary school my children go to has all doors locked including the front door, which also has a camera.  You have to be 'buzzed in' by a front desk person.

luckysevenwow
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Duh, I knew that, guess I hadn't had enough coffee yet lol

Quoting atlmom2:

They are set where you cannot get in but can get out.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

two things come to mind...

1) how do they lock?  if there is a fire can the children open the door from the inside?

2) out here in southern california we do not have any interior hall ways.  the WHOLE school is open... virtually no way to lock it down.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

iI think you are right.It may be an attempt to reassure parents and even staff.So they will feel safer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)