Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would it worry you?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 11 Replies

All this talk about locking down schools.... well here in southern california none of the schools have interior hall ways or have very few; there isnt even a cafateria, the kids eat on picnic tables out side.  The kids move from class to class outside.  There are fences around the school but anyone, if they had the desire, could climb a chain link fence.

Would it bother you?

This is how it has always been for us, so I have no issue with it.  But with all the over the top talk about locking down schools, I wonder how many parents would have issue with the idea.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Awe, you just brought back memories of junior/high school for me. I was a California girl, and only my high school had one or two enclosed buildings. Well my elementary was, but most weren't.

Out here, only the junior/high school are enclosed. It's a fairly new building as the original high school was falling down. The elementary is completely open, even the fencing doesn't go all the way around the school. There are 3/4 seperate buildings, the only one that might be secure is the round building and that usually for grades 1-3 and in the center is the library. It's solid brick with minimal windows, those are only in the door. The other ones, kinder and grades 4-6 are open, nothing would stop anything. 

Am I concerend? No, nothing will stop someone hell bent on a mission, at most it will slow them done but even that's not a guarantee. 

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

No ,the most recent schools here are built more traditional style and as are the ones built 50 plus years ago.Our high school is newish 14 years old.Lots of windows two main entrances and they both enter into the Commons and the office faces the commons.The main door is open all day.Someone could enter and go for it.Our school does have 4 huge wings off the commons and each huge hallway has a two story metal drop door in the ceiling to seal off the wing but that is as much for fire as other protection.While we do have plenty of indoor tables that come out at lunch in the commons the majority eat in the back courtyard on picnic tables which opens into student parking.I don't worry specifically about school.They could be in line at an ATM drive through and be robbed ,they could honk and someone go crazy ,when they were younger a kook could be at the zoo or roller rink.I believe in caution but danger can be everywhere if you want to see it that way.

That's my theory.

bizzeemom2717
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM
No prob not I grew up in Huntington Beach, CA and when we first moved all the interior hallways seemed odd until we got our first round of snow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Interior or exterior, crazies are going to do what crazies do. Cops cant be everywhere and the chance of a school shooting or other incident are rare compared to getting in a car wreck.

You can't live your life in fear so let your kids be kids!

MistyandZoesMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

No problem whatsoever - quite thankful for the open environments in which my girls have grown up and see no need for radical reform

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I'm a California girl as well,  my schools were open, too.   No, it doesn't bother me.     The HS my sons' attended is mostly outdoor as well, which is so ridiculous considering it rains 9 months out of the year, but I digress.

chattycassie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

To be honest here in AZ most schools are the same the weather permits it. The new school my kids are going to has only one way in and one way out. This terrifies me, if someone makes it in how do my kids get out?

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

No it wouldn't bother me.

02nana07
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

The school I went to was secure compared to the new schools but my thought if they do a lockdown and someone is in the building without them knowing before the lockdown.

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Don't know if I would be comfortable with a school set up that way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)